Relate CSV table to a Point Feature Class

01-21-2019 01:37 PM
FrancisHourigan1
Occasional Contributor

I have a location point feature for wine production facilities and a csv table that shows the total, red, and white grapes received in tons. I want to join the csv table to the production points by facility name. However, I need to be able to summarize the total tons received, red tones received and white tons received by year in the final point feature class. I created a one to many relationships but I am having trouble with the next steps. How can I isolate the different grape varietals and still visualize and symbolize the tons received for each year in the table?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JenniferKennedy
New Contributor II

Could you provide your data, or an example of what the data looks like?  Without a little bit more information about the data model, it's a little difficult to offer advice.

However, even without more information, I'd suggest looking at the Summary Statistics tool (edit: here's the Pro documentation for this tool). It's a very powerful tool for summarizing data.  For example, if you have multiple records associated with one point, and you need to add up all the values in a field from the multiple records for each point, you can use the Summary Statistics tool to do it.

If the Summary Statistics tool does turn out to be useful for you, then you can join the output of that tool back to your point features.  Of course, if you need these summaries to update based on changes to the CSV data, then you'd have to run the tool again, or devise some other methodology.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Whatever you plan to do, convert/save the csv file as a geodatabase table... much like excel files, text, csv files have their limits within the geodatabase environment.

FrancisHourigan1
Occasional Contributor

I have added the excel table to the geodatabase where the point features live. I used the excel to geodatabase tool in ArcGIS Pro. However, I still have the problem with the One to Many relationship. I cannot share proprietary data but I can outline the format. Each point in the Point Feature has a location name. Let's use Shasta as an example. Within the table, I have a column that has Shasta listed multiple times because each year that location was delivered X amount of grapes (in tons) and each year those tones are broken down by REc, White, and Total. 

2000  |   Shasta  |  Total = 100 tons

Red = 50 Tons

White = 50 tons

2001  | Shasta | Total = 100 tons

Red = 50 Tons

White = 50 tons

Etc....

I want to relate the table to the point feature with Shasta as the Primary Key but I also want to be able to access the related table information in Pro so that I can filter or symbolize by Red or White tons or total tons.

Hopefully, that is a little more clear?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Visualizing related data is a topic that comes up from time to time.  See https://community.esri.com/thread/200210-symbolize-based-on-related-data among others.  I don't know you can do it straight up: the link above points to another link where the answer is to create a view of the data.  That's way more than a desktop type of procedure.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos