Reconfiguring Sewer Network from Geometric Network (ArcMap) to Utility Network (ArcGIS Pro)

12-22-2020 12:10 PM
CindyChu2
New Contributor II

I've been creating sewer networks using geometric network in ArcGIS 10.8 but I am switching over to Pro soon. I am having trouble trying to re-configure the geometric network to utility network.

How do I go about doing that?

I tried looking for documentation but the Utility Network seems so intricate & I don't believe I have all the inputs for it.

My geometric network includes:

• Pipes
  • Manholes
  • Pump Stations
  • Public Connections (sink)

The ultimate goal is to be able to trace upstream/downstream from anywhere along the system.

I want to be able to create the same "geometric network" using utility network.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertThomson
Occasional Contributor II

If your concern is getting to Pro you could simply port your Geometric Network to ArcPro's Trace Network which is what I did.  It does not have the ability to do Isolation traces but I am certain you can do upstream/downstream, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  There is a tool in Pro that called "Convert Geometric Network to Trace Network" that will do this but be sure to make a copy first as it will restructure your existing file.  UN is a huge complicated beast you may or may not need, I have my Water System in it as a local geodatabase (Don't have Enterprise) as a test bed and I'm still trying to get it straightened out.

0 Kudos
AzinSharaf

Nice symbology! Which style are you using?

0 Kudos
RobertThomson

I stole it from the Sewer Utility Network Editor at https://solutions.arcgis.com/water/help/sewer-utility-network-editor/ and made some modifications to it color wise.  Still an ongoing process and as you can see my mainline taps still aren't rotated yet.

0 Kudos
NickHarvey

Hi Cindy - I agree with Robert's comments and went the same route at first (fgdb Trace Network). I did come back to the Utility Network (fgdb) recently and got the upstream, downstream, and subnetwork tracing functions working.  I'm listing some suggestions below that helped me in the second attempt.

1. See the Sewer Utility Network Foundation if not already. 
  2. Change the spatial reference of the Asset Package and edit the ServiceTerritory polygon per your geography.
  3. Apply the Asset Package to a File Geodatabase.
  4. At first, create/edit a tiny fictitious collection system (from scratch) using the output fgdb from #3. I did this with just the Sewer Line, Sewer Device & Structure Junction feature classes. Populate the Asset Group and Asset Type fields at minimum. Include your system scenarios (connect a couple of gravity mains to a pump station to a force main to a pipe connection/controller point to a gravity main to the treatment plant, etc). Each time you create a different scenario, validate the topology and refer to the connectivity rules provided under Network Properties until the dirty areas get resolved. Finding the right 'From' and 'To' device terminal types (attribute fields) on the Sewer Line feature class is key for each scenario.
  5. Create the Tier1 (sewer collection system) subnetwork using your treatment plant (Sewer Device) as a subnetwork controller before you try to create a Tier2 (sewershed) subnetwork. I made this error at first (obvious in hindsight).
  6. I had to add a pipe connection-controller point where force mains connect to gravity mains. Without the pipe connection-controller point, I noticed that my Tier1 subnetwork would not update (expand) upstream through the force main when I added features upstream of the associated pump station.

HTH

-Nick

NickHarvey

7.  Also from notes:  When I scaled this up using our actual data (loading our mains, etc) - I had to disable the topology, load data, then re-enable the topology to update the Is Connected attributes.  Otherwise the UN tools would not acknowledge that the newly loaded features were topologically correct.  I also had to delete the original Asset Package (Naperville) spatial index before updating the subnetworks due to the grid size being invalid (threw error).   

0 Kudos
NickHarvey

8.  We have dozens of double-outlet manholes in our sewer system that typically exist along the basin boundaries (ridgelines).  Even though the associated outlet lines were digitized in the correct flow direction, some loops are still generated in our single use UN.  Some of the lines associated with these loops are categorized as having an indeterminate flow direction in the single use UN (which is puzzling).  This only became apparent when I turned off the 'Allow Indeterminate Flow' option in the Trace config (the trace would then stop at those lines).  This isn't the case in our production Geometric Network traces (same lines).  I'm not sure how to explain it yet (probably doing something incorrectly).  But for now, I have solved the problem by script-appending some faux sewer devices at each double-outlet manhole and specifying a condition barrier for that Device Asset Group.  Using this condition barrier (Dynamic barrier) allows the user to still add their own barriers interactively (Feature barriers) when using Set Trace Locations or when using a saved Trace Configuration.    

0 Kudos
NickHarvey

9.  It looks like creating Terminal Configurations for double-outlet manholes may be a better way to handle this:  See this post:  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-utility-network-questions/trace-results-with-loops-and-double-o...

RobertThomson

This is great, keep it coming.  I have my water in the Utility Network and Sanitary is started. I hopefully will get at it again in the fall.  

VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

@NickHarvey thanks for all of these great tips. I am just starting to look into migration and these are all really helpful. Appreciate it!