Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster Cells Distorted After Rotation in Pro 2.3

02-05-2019 02:01 PM
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Deactivated User

I'm performing a grid analysis using a tessellation, 30 sq ft grid squares over a room in a building. I want to rotate the grid to line up with the geographic angle of the room on the map. I need to automate this process for over 10000 rooms. Since I can only manually rotate polygons (why is there not a tool for this?) I'm converting the grid to raster, rotating that to the room angle, and reconverting the rotated raster back to a polygon. The problem I'm having is that the raster cells become distorted when rotated. I'm trying to count the number of 30 foot squares are completely within the room and this distortion is throwing off the accuracy of the count because it's missing squares that would likely fit into the room along the top (see screenshots). 

I started this analysis a couple of months ago, and I'm just noticing this issue after upgrading to Pro 2.3. When I originally ran the analysis, this particular room had 15 squares completely within. Now it has twelve due to the cell distortion. 

This happens whether I run the process in Python 3, or if I do the steps manually in Pro. 

Tessellation to raster:

Raster rotate:

Raster to polygon:

Three more of these squares were counted before the cell distortion

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Levi see if this tool can do the job of making the grid:

https://pm.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9398bd2232cb4c8490b0b05015364d28 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Deactivated User

Thanks. I think I can cut out a bunch of steps here by just using a transverse hexagon grid instead of squares. That aligns to the y axis of the coordinate system. 

0 Kudos