Select to view content in your preferred language

"Failed to Open Project" I have a problem, am seeking help.

3 weeks ago
ConstantinePapadakis
New Contributor II

Today  my computer froze within 30 seconds of saving my project.  Upon hard rebooting and then reopening my project, the following error message shows and I am unable to open the project, either from inside Pro or directly from the folder location:

"Failed to Open Project

Opening the selected ArcGIS project failed. This project was saved using a newer version of ArcGIS Pro:."

ConstantinePapadakis_0-1717106389452.png

I am using Pro 3.2.2 and  have not changed versions. Its not a new project.

FYI These freezes periodically happen when Microsoft forces a Security Intelligence Update (which happend today) or starts pushing software onto my laptop in the background; I manually update to avoid this but sometimes they sneak through. 

If it makes any difference, I have experiened a feeze/reboot event like this before (but not following a save) and I was able to load a project with no problems.

Thanks for your ideas or workarounds.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have any control over preventing these Windows Updates from occurring while you are using ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
ConstantinePapadakis
New Contributor II

Yes normally I set updates to manual but like I wrote, somehow sometimes they push through. Thank you for your response.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

can you copy the project and its files to another computer and open it there?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ConstantinePapadakis
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, I don't have another machine to test the file, however, I was able to find a previous version and recovered most of the work, but seems like I got lucky here. 

I right clicked the "corrupted" file name in its stored folder location>Properties>Previous Versions: and voila an older version was featured. I opened it up and was almost whole, excepting some lost work. 

I was curious and checked other projects for stored versions and most have them,except in each case they seem dated and are not the actual most recently saved version. For example the recovered project ( which was renamed) has been saved a few times already in the past 48 hours but no "version" exists (see pic below).  

So I need to figure out how Windows captures these versions in the event I experience a future anomolous file corruption event.  

Thanks for your ideas help Dan.

ConstantinePapadakis_0-1717250351386.png

0 Kudos