"Failed to open map view"

02-29-2024 06:10 PM
ajwright
New Contributor II

Hello users, 

Today I opened up my project which I have spent around 40 hours on so far, and only my layouts were visible, but with no map data. My map was missing, but visible in the catalog pane. When I try to open the map from the catalog, I get the "Failed to open map view" error with no further explanation. 

Other posts mentioned the Reclassify tool as a potential culprit. I used this tool a few times, but not recently so I am not sure what caused this issue. 

Is there any way that I can extract the layers and data from the map and paste it to a fresh project?

Any help is appreciated.

ajwright_0-1709259013764.png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Are you able to activate your layout?

ajwright
New Contributor II

I can't do anything with the layout. The legend isn't even populated which concerns me. 

ajwright_0-1709268149580.png

0 Kudos
GeeteshSingh07
Occasional Contributor II

That's unfortunate. Have you tried "Copy" map from this project and "Paste" it to another?

GeeteshSingh07_0-1709268710394.png

GeeteshSingh07_1-1709268763512.png

@ajwright 

ajwright
New Contributor II

Thanks for your comment. I tried this and the option to paste is greyed out. 

GeeteshSingh07

@ajwright Moreover, if the project is stored on network drive, try saving it to a local drive?

Use "Save Project As" to save it to a different location:

GeeteshSingh07_0-1709269123811.png

If this doesn't work, try creating a "Project Package" & save it locally:

GeeteshSingh07_2-1709269211165.png

GeeteshSingh07_1-1709269181282.png

ajwright
New Contributor II

Thanks again Geetesh. I have tried saving the project elsewhere and the issue seems to persist. Is there a way I can access the layers and paste them to a new map?

GeeteshSingh07

To copy-paste, keep both instances of ArcGIS Pro opened (old and new)..

@ajwright 

You can check backup folder , where your project is saved, maybe you can find something there:

GeeteshSingh07_0-1709271008282.png

What is the version of ArcGIS Pro in which this map was created? What is the version now of ArcGIS Pro? Have you recently upgraded or downgraded the application?

Have you installed/updated any add-ins recently? If yes, try uninstalling the add-in.

Do you have ArcGIS Data Interpretability installed, if yes, and you have no issues uninstalling it, YOU CAN GIVE IT A TRY.. 

If nothing else works, I would suggest you to reach out to Esri Tech support, there might be a chance that they can recover the map from your aprx file....I've seen cases in past, where map has been recovered by Esri tech Support...

Is there a way I can access the layers and paste them to a new map? Your feature classes/shapefiles must be safe at there respective locations...however, I don't think there is any other way to recover the layer (with configurations such as symbology, labels etc.)...

ajwright
New Contributor II

I have tried everything you have suggested to no avail. Thank you for your help, I'll try and get in contact with Esri support now. 

ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

I too just opened a project that I created last week (v3.2.0) and I got the message "Failed to open map view". I tried all of the tricks mentioned above with no luck. This is at least 10 hours of lost work. If there is not a bug reported, I will report it.

0 Kudos