Select to view content in your preferred language

Query and borrow from neighboring polygons?

02-19-2020 01:04 PM
JoshuaMacFadyen
New Contributor

I have a feature class with about 12,000 contiguous polygons (they are thiessen polygons). Each polygon has either a surplus or deficit value that represents the availability or lack of resources within that polygon. How can I test all neighboring polygons to query their values and then create a new value for every polygon based on the optimal reallocation of values between it and its adjacent polygons? I realize that this will create a cascade between polygons if there are multiple deficits in a row, so I might also need to build in a limit to the number of neighbours the query will run.

I am aware of the Polygon Neighbors tool in ArcGIS Pro, but from what I understand this only identifies which polygons are neighbours. I need to go a few steps further and find a way to query the value in each neighbouring polygon and then "borrow" their resources when they are available.

When I asked ESRI Canada's tech support they said this will likely require some python code, but I should ask GeoNet first.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4 This is the first time I've used GeoNet, so please let me know if I should be posting this in another sort of community. Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies