Publishing to ArcServer from ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
06-29-2021 12:48 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have published many feature classes to ArcServer using desktop, as I am almost exclusively using ArcPro now and would really like to know if there is a way to publish from Pro.  I keep having to do the work in Pro and then use desktop to publish the service.

Anybody know if there is a way to publish from Pro and if so how?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have a standalone ArcGIS Server site (Not federated with ArcGIS Enterprise), you may directly publish to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Pro. 

Connect to a GIS Server 

Publish a Map service (subsequent links are available for publishing Image, Geocode and Geoprocessing Service).

If the ArcGIS Server site is federated with ArcGIS Enterprise, then you may share them to ArcGIS Enterprise as web layers. Introduction to sharing web layers 

Think Location

View solution in original post

15 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have a standalone ArcGIS Server site (Not federated with ArcGIS Enterprise), you may directly publish to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Pro. 

Connect to a GIS Server 

Publish a Map service (subsequent links are available for publishing Image, Geocode and Geoprocessing Service).

If the ArcGIS Server site is federated with ArcGIS Enterprise, then you may share them to ArcGIS Enterprise as web layers. Introduction to sharing web layers 

Think Location
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think this will do exactly what I am needing to but it will not let me change the user type to admin.  Any idea why it is greyed out?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you share the screenshot(s), and explain the steps followed so far?

Think Location
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I added the server to the project and opened Catalog View, right clicked on the server and clicked on properties to change the user type.  I read in another thread that you had to be an admin to publish and publishing is not an option when you right click.  I am an admin.

GaryMorris_0-1625153233572.png

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please follow the steps in order.

Use "Add Server" for adding an existing connection file. Else use "New ArcGIS Server" for creating a new connection file.

JayantaPoddar_3-1625163174632.png

For a standalone server (not federated), I am able to change the Connection Type from Server's Properties (after the connection is created).

JayantaPoddar_0-1625162236580.png

With a Publisher Connection, I can publish Map Service, Image Service and Geocode Service.

JayantaPoddar_1-1625162437128.png

With an Administrator Connection, I can additionally publish Geoprocessing Service as well.

JayantaPoddar_2-1625162674408.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That is the steps I have followed and I still am unable to change the user type.  I have always been able to publish from ArcMap, I don't know if that is relevant to this or not.  What is the difference between a Standalone and a Federated server?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Configurations for ArcGIS Server 

If you have access to ArcGIS Server Manager, check the following page

Login to ArcGIS Server Manager > Security > Settings

A stand-alone Server should look similar to this (if using built-in users)

JayantaPoddar_0-1625228624038.png

A federated Server should look similar to this (this one is also a hosting server)

JayantaPoddar_1-1625228745333.png

*NOTE: If your ArcGIS Server site is federated, you can still use the same process to publish from ArcMap, but you can't publish directly from ArcGIS Pro.

I will share further steps, if you can confirm if your ArcGIS Server site is federated with ArcGIS Enterprise.

Think Location
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

All of my settings are exactly the same as the ones in the Standalone picture.  So at least I know I should have the capability.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As I showed in the workflow with screenshots, it can be achieved. What is the version of ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Server? I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 and ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1.

It would be better if you could log a case with Esri Technical Support. They could have a closer look at the environment and resolve the issue.

Once resolved, let us know what the issue was, and how it has been resolved.

Think Location
0 Kudos