Select to view content in your preferred language

Proper case for ordinals using Arcade

Jump to solution
11-15-2019 12:35 PM
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

The Proper() Arcade function is a handy way to format street names that are stored in all caps. But it doesn't deal with ordinals correctly; e.g., returns "16Th" rather than "16th". There are a few different ways to handle this in Python but I don't know how to do it with Arcade. Any ideas? Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JeffThomasILM
Occasional Contributor II

Ah! I figured it out. When you copied my expression into the playground, you unwittingly, but correctly, added braces around the for loop. I failed to notice previously that every label was showing only the last word of the name; I was only paying attention to the Mac names. After adding the braces, many more street names magically popped into the map! Thanks!

For posterity, here's the corrected expression:

if (!IsEmpty($feature.STREET)) {
  var words = split(upper($feature.STREET), " ")
  var Mac = ["MACCUMBER", "MACKAY", "MACKENZIE", "MACMILLAN", "MACRAE"]
  var dir = proper(DomainName($feature, 'DIR'))
  var street = ""
  var type = proper(DomainName($feature, 'TYPE'))
  for (var i in words) { 
    var isMac = indexof(Mac, words[i]) > -1
    if (left(words[i], 2) == "MC") {
      street += upper(words[i][0]) + lower(words[i][1]) + upper(words[i][2]) + lower(right(words[i], count(words[i]) - 3)) + " ";
    } else if (isMac) {
      street += upper(words[i][0]) + lower(words[i][1]) + lower(words[i][2]) + upper(words[i][3]) + lower(right(words[i], count(words[i]) - 4)) + " ";
    } else {
      street += iif(IsNan(number(words[i][0])), proper(words[i]), lower(words[i])) + " ";
    }
  }
  return concatenate([dir, street, type]," ");
} else {
  return "";
}‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍