producing an export with layers in the order I set

309
1
Jump to solution
02-03-2021 09:31 AM
Labels (2)
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

 

I have been doing some exports to excel and before i export an attribute table to excel. I move the fields into the order I want them to be in. But once I open the table in excel all the fields are not where I set them.

Is there a way to tell ArcPro what fields and what order I want to export an attribute table in or will I just have to fix the column order in excel manually?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Frequent Contributor

James - you're correct that the reordered fields do not "stick" when you export them to an Excel file.  One way to do this is to run the Feature Class to Feature Class GP tool and reorder the fields in the Field Map parameter.  It's tricky though as I learned while testing.  The top of the Field Map will be the last column in the table so reorder the fields bottom-up before running the tool.  Meaning the last record in the Field Map parameter is the first column, followed by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.  Took me two tries to figure this out.

It creates a new feature class in your geodatabase so now you have a duplicate.  You may or may not want to keep the original feature class.  Then export the Table to Excel again.  The Excel file should show the reordered fields as you set them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Frequent Contributor

James - you're correct that the reordered fields do not "stick" when you export them to an Excel file.  One way to do this is to run the Feature Class to Feature Class GP tool and reorder the fields in the Field Map parameter.  It's tricky though as I learned while testing.  The top of the Field Map will be the last column in the table so reorder the fields bottom-up before running the tool.  Meaning the last record in the Field Map parameter is the first column, followed by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on.  Took me two tries to figure this out.

It creates a new feature class in your geodatabase so now you have a duplicate.  You may or may not want to keep the original feature class.  Then export the Table to Excel again.  The Excel file should show the reordered fields as you set them.