Select to view content in your preferred language

Problems with the "append" tool?

05-10-2018 09:11 AM
RyanHowell1
Occasional Contributor

I have a point shapefile that I am trying to add to a file geodatabase with 1118 point features. Every couple days I've gotten an updated shapefile, so my process has been append it to my file geodatabase and then delete duplicates, which has worked great until I got to about 1000 points, then I worked around it by merging instead of appending and just making a new file, but I would rather not have to continue doing it that way.

I'm getting error 000594 and 595, it says the tool was run with warnings and I still have the same 1118 points, with no new points from the shapefile that I'm trying to append.

The suddenness of the issue popping up lead me to believe it was a memory issue, but unless I'm mistaken, my 1000 points are well within the size limit of a file geodatabase. File geodatabase size and name limits—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good be the process.  Try converting/copying the shapefile to a geodatabase featureclass before trying the append or the merge.

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
Occasional Contributor

I've tried both the shapefile and converting it to a file geodatabase, but it's doing the same thing.

I forgot to add, there are some new fields in the target database that aren't in the shapefile so I select the use field map option and just delete the unused fields. But I also did that before I started having issues too.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ryan,

Where are these updated shapefiles coming from? Is it possible that it's from CAD data? 

This article has a potential work around

Error: WARNING 000594: Input feature falls outside of output geometry domains 

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
Occasional Contributor

Adrian

It is a GPS tracker on wildlife that sends me points through the company's software. I don't think it's using CAD. Looking at the files contained in the shapefile I don't see anything strange. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Would it happen to be Vectronics? If so, can you share your shapefile? I have a suspicion.....

RyanHowell1
Occasional Contributor

It's actually GeoTrak. The data is a little sensitive but if looking at the shapefile would help I could put up an edited version.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You're probably an agency, so I wouldn't run afoul of data security rules, outside of submitting it to TS. However, where I was going, sometime vectronics would put some wonky characters in the lat/lon, or some craziness like change a field format with the addition of some floating point values in what was normally a text field.....

0 Kudos