Problems with relates and joins

09-28-2015 05:38 PM
RuskinHartley
New Contributor

Seems like a simple task, but I am unable to join or relate a table created in Excel to a shape file of park boundaries. I've tried native Excel format, csv, and plain text files. File names are the same and there's common data. What am I doing wrong?!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The columns have to be of the same type... number to number,  text to text.  Can you confirm the data type of both?  In excel and attribute table ... text is left justified unless someone has played around with the justification...numbers are right justified.

0 Kudos
RuskinHartley
New Contributor

Data appears to be the same type. Trying to relate text to text (4 letter NPS park codes) in many to many relationship.  I see the relationship in the drop-down when I click the park boundary, but the related table isn't available. I could do this in ArcINFO, but an now stumped!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

These tables have been added to arcmap?? if so, then a screen grab of the contents of a few rows might help

0 Kudos
RuskinHartley
New Contributor

relatescreenshop.jpg

Here's the two table in question and the pop-up that shows the relate, but no related data. Am I just not getting how this works??!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have you tried the relate in the reverse?  Your file with the geometry should be the destination file and the one you are joining/relating is the secondary file.

0 Kudos
RuskinHartley
New Contributor

That's the way its set up and still no luck. Going to try it in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
RuskinHartley
New Contributor

Here it is working first time in ArcMap. Same data. Same tables. Different result. Any idea what's up?

CaptureArcMAP.PNG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is hard to tell since the interfaces are so different.  Especially if you confirmed the order and the face that you were doing a relate in both.. strange...perhaps other eyes may help, since I didn't see any bug issues reported...and this is common enoough operation that surely it would have been spotted by now​

0 Kudos