ArcGISPro MultiPatch Stretching

09-25-2015 06:53 AM
nicholascarrington
New Contributor

Once in a while when converting multi-patch data to a new coordinate system I get a stretched effect. I think the z height value is dropped or ignored. See below:

>>

original model                                                               Project tool                                                  stretched result

Anyone else encountered this? If so, do you know what caused the error? how did you fix it?

Thanks again,

-nick

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Before reprojecting the data, were the Z values in feet or meters?

0 Kudos
nicholascarrington
New Contributor

I think it  would be in the wrong units. But when I re-project it's not changing the z  value, I don't see options to change the Z scale. So I  go from feet to meters in the re-project. X and Y changes not the Z I'm assuming.

Hmmm, is there a tool that converts the z values. I'm new to GIS.

Gabriel, thanks again for your response.

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

To my knowledge, ArcGIS does not project/transform Z values, which is why I asked.  You can usually find a way to do it manually though.  I would start with trying the Adjust 3D Z tool using the From Units and To Units parameters.  Keep in mind that this tool modifies the input data (I.e., it does not produce a new copy of the data) so be sure to create a backup copy of your data before running the tool.  Here is the help doc:  Adjust 3D Z—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

nicholascarrington
New Contributor

Wow thanks a lot Gabriel . I'll give it a shot and see what result I get.

-nick

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have never had need for it so .... please .... try this on a copy of your file ...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/adjust-3d-z.htm

0 Kudos
nicholascarrington
New Contributor

Thanks Dan, will do.

0 Kudos