Pro 2.9.1 - Changing a data frame's source map sheet/tab take excessive time

03-03-2022 11:11 AM
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I've noticed across multiple projects that if I go into an existing data frame and switch out the source map frame/tab, ie this:

KeithAddison1_0-1646333007545.png

Pro will hang at working for time intervals on the order of days, but it will usually eventually take if I wait long enough (done by leaving it running it on an unused machine).  Sometimes Pro crashes after a good while.  I find myself having to recreate things needlessly to avoid this, and am wondering if anyone else can report and/or shed light on possible ways to speed it up?  The projects I do this on have anywhere from 2-10 existing map frames/tabs.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Keith - I tested this on ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 with multiple maps and a layout.  I went to the Format Map Frame pane and changed the map from one to four other maps and it took less than a second each time.  One thing to try is sometimes with strange events like this, you may want to go into your C:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming and rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD.  Then restart ArcGIS Pro and try it again.  What is the result?

Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

@Robert_LeClair wrote:

...One thing to try is sometimes with strange events like this, you may want to go into your C:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming and rename the ESRI folder to ESRI_OLD.  Then restart ArcGIS Pro and try it again. 

Isn't this what "The I.T. Crowd" says everytime they pick up the phone? 

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

I'm having a similar issue, though different. 

I've tried to change the Display Options Constraint, within the Format Map Frame window and now Pro won't let me move on with anything else. No matter how I configure the options, when I close the Format Map Frame window, anything I click on next simply re-opens that window again. If I close the Format Map Frame window and then click the project "Save" button, the Format Map Frame window re-opens. 

0 Kudos