Pro 2.3 many GP tools (PW Intersect, Clip) don't work

02-15-2019 04:44 PM
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

Maybe too vague of a title.

I upgraded to 2.3 because I was excited at some of the cool features. 

Unfortunately the following GP tools just sit and spin...

Pairwise intersect

Intersect

Clip

Spatial Join

[probably more to be added here as I do other work]

This behavior is new with 2.3. 

I did a squeaky clean install of 2.3 after I noticed issues with the upgrade. 

When I click run..the tool displays "running..." but no messages are displayed and after a half hour to intersect a few polygons and about 100 points there's still no progress. 

Clicking stop doesn't stop the tool. It just says "Canceling..." and sits there. 

Clicking the window close X doesn't close the program. I must go into task manager to kill it. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

by squeaky clean, you mean you removed any addins/addons for Pro, registry cleaned, your User's profile?

Have you tried Control Panel, Add/Remove, then select Repair to see if it just a bad install.

A clean install is harder to achieve than you think

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

That's why I put the "squeaky" in front of clean, Dan! If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to include them. I've always found your advice to be very helpful. 

Copy/paste from the tech support directions that I followed: 

In order to remove all traces of ArcGIS Pro from a system you can do the following:

1. Attempt to uninstall ArcGIS Pro from the Control Panel. If you can't do this, or it doesn't work, then proceed to Step 2.
  2. Ensure that all ArcGIS Pro processes are not running in the Task Manager. These are usually the following:
    ArcGISCleanup.exe
    ArcGISPro.exe
  3. Rename/Delete the following files if they still exist:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISPro and any other Pro folders
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\ArcGISPro
    C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\ArcGIS\ArcGIS Pro
  4. Rename/Delete the following registry keys if they exist:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online For Pro
  5. Reboot the system, and attempt to run the Install of ArcGIS Pro. This should allow you to install the software as new

I also deleted all keys under "ArcGISPro"

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Gabriel... squeaky it is, most don't get that far.

I would 'tech support' it, nothing should take that long especially if your machine exceeds specs and you are working with new projects and small data sets.  Could be other things unrelated, like virus protection software and other quirks.

Report back if you get any resolution.

Kory Kramer‌ any I thing missed?

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

I'm thinking about nuking it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure.

Is there a list somewhere of any known conflicts or issues with other software?

My computer does exceed specs, I am working with new projects and relatively small data sets. 

I'm in a large corp environment, so unfortunately I'm stuck with the virus protection brand we use but I have flexibility in other areas. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't have such a list, perhaps tech support list, and there are several  "issue" posts

Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow??? 

https://community.esri.com/thread/217567-arcgis-pro-most-cumbersome 

and similar ones of that vein.  

But I suspect tech support will be faster

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Gabriel,

The tools you mention are all overlay types of operations.  Check projections and maybe more importantly, are all of the tolerances and resolutions default?  Any changes to things at the geometry storage level could cause issues...  

How are they stored - shapefile, file gdb, enterprise gdb, etc. and WHERE are they stored (locally, file share...)?  I agree with Dan on this one - too many things to look into and troubleshoot to make must progress quickly on the forum.  But do circle back with what you find out!

Cheers

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

It's behaving the same with copy features as well. 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

I had a similar issue with nearly all GP tools not working. Same issue whereby I'd try run a tool, cancel it and wait forever for it to do nothing, then had to kill Pro from Task Manager. Try uninstalling the Data Interop extension if you've got it installed.

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

That sounds like the same issue I was experiencing. 

I uninstalled everything in Pro and reinstalled Data Interop, but went back to running 2.1.3. Everything's working (that I use) with this version. 

Tech support wanted me to create a new windows login to see if that was part of it, but I didn't get to that step . 

0 Kudos