Prevent Users from Upgrading ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
01-08-2024 09:15 AM
Labels (1)
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Everyone, my question is:  Is there a way to prevent users from upgrading Pro on their own (like some sort of setting)?  Recently I had a few users who upgraded without telling the GIS staff and it caused some backwards compatibility issues.  Thank you for your time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Matthew the following documentation discusses how updating can be disabled.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/update-arcgis-pro.htm#:~:text=startup%20check%2...

Hope that helps,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst

View solution in original post

7 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Matthew the following documentation discusses how updating can be disabled.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/update-arcgis-pro.htm#:~:text=startup%20check%2...

Hope that helps,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

By the way, can we choose the update to be done.  Since Pro broke in each release some features, I had to reinstall it to the 3.0.1.  If I update it, I past to the last update available.

0 Kudos
D_McRitchie
New Contributor II

Hey Marcel,

This will only disable the ability to update. For selecting the specific update to be done a new install would be required.

On MyEsri you can select patches for the minor version number, so if you were looking to upgrade to 3.0.4 you could download ArcGIS Pro 3 patch 1. (Patch 1 as the default download for 3.0 starts at 3.0.3.

Many thanks,

David

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

@D_McRitchie 

Yes but why not make it simple.  I can update directly to 3.2x but why not incremental update.  ESRI doesn't know the KISS philosophy 

0 Kudos
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Go Vandals! 🙌

Question | Analyze | Visualize
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I second that.....

MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor II

FYI, the new Date field type in 3.2 is not backwards compatible.  To put another way, if you create a feature class with the new date field type, users using 3.1 or older will not be able to use it.  I'm personally disappointed that ESRI has not emphasized this more.

0 Kudos