Polygon Boundaries Edges Issue

05-02-2019 11:17 AM
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

So I have a public schools boundaries feature. The boundary of one polygon has a sharp, roughly a 90 degree angle edge. The adjacent boundary has a rounded edge. This seems to be happening mostly within street intersections. I'm left with a little pyramid in between that isn't inside any boundary. Is there a good programmatic topological method to force the rounded edges to snap to the sharp edges and get rid of the gaps? There are thousands of instances of this in my data. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Well....  I guess it's up to you as to whether or not you want your boundaries topologically correct.  I didn't realize you had so many errors, but the only way to get experience in something is to give a try. Just be sure you back everything up before hand. (I assume you did that before experimenting with integrate, right?) 

At any rate, you can build a set of topology rules such that your polygons not have gaps or overlaps; often times if you set your tolerances right, the validation process takes care of a lot of errors.  Start here and good luck

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
deleted-user-1_r2dgYuILKY
Occasional Contributor III

Yeah, I messed around with setting up a topology for this. I could identify and fix errors, but only one by one. If there isn't a way to fix muItiple errors at once, we're going to have to just live with them or completely redraw them from scratch, which is less than ideal. I have no idea where these errors came from, because I'm dealing with boundaries that were created and edited long before I took this position. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It's all a balance: how critical is topology for these features?  At what scale are the errors noticeable?  Will the errors send a student to the wrong school?  How many districts are you talking about re-creating?  How long will it take?  These are questions only you can answer....

That should just about do it....