Point to PointZ

Jump to solution
08-06-2020 07:55 AM
BrunoMoser
New Contributor II

Hi

In order to convert a DTM raster for CAD, I'm looking to create a 3D point dataset that I can export as a DWG. 

I'm using 'raster to point' which creates the point array but stores the elevation value as an attribute, is there a tool that creates points in 3D based on a 2D point and an attribute value?

I hope there's an easy answer to this, but I just got stuck.

Thanks,

Bruno

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're almost there!  The next tool to run is the "Add Surface Information" GP tool - this will add the Z attribute to the point feature class attribute table.  Lastly, run the "Feature to 3D by Attribute" GP tool using the Z field for the Height Field parameter - leave "To Height" parameter blank.  The output feature class is now a PointZ feature class.

There may be another workflow but this workflow worked for me.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're almost there!  The next tool to run is the "Add Surface Information" GP tool - this will add the Z attribute to the point feature class attribute table.  Lastly, run the "Feature to 3D by Attribute" GP tool using the Z field for the Height Field parameter - leave "To Height" parameter blank.  The output feature class is now a PointZ feature class.

There may be another workflow but this workflow worked for me.

BrunoMoser
New Contributor II

Hi Robert - thanks for your quick reply and apologies for being slow, but that was exactly the GP tool I was looking for.