Select to view content in your preferred language

Picture Fill Issues

Jump to solution
08-16-2023 12:23 PM
Labels (1)
NormBetland
Regular Contributor

I've been putting together a map with point geometry. I have set the circle at 58 points and am changing the fill to picture. Each of the points on the map (there are about 15) is going to have a different fill. When I upload the picture for point 1, I resize and nudge it around until it sits just right. Then I do the same process to the next point. During this process I keep the map scale consistent at 1:1,000,000 so that the point scale does not change relative to the map. However, after every few points, adjusting the picture in the next point starts to undo the work done on the fill for other points.

Then when I export the map, being sure to export it at the same scale, never changing it, none of the fills are how I had them set. 

I am assuming that picture fills are tiled from a common 0,0 point for the map and that adjusting the x,y values, changes where the tiling starts in relation to that 0,0 point, which is why zooming in and out of the map changes the position of the picture in the symbology. Does anyone know of an easier way to use picture fills or why, in this case, pictures in separate features are influencing the position of the pictures in other features? I've used picture fills in other maps before and this wasn't an issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NormBetland
Regular Contributor

After more trial and error, it seems like the best solution at present is to buffer the points to create a circle polygon that is the approximate size of the point marker at the final scale of the map and to use a picture fill in the polygon. There are no issues with polygons affecting other polygons. The one issue is that the polygon layer can only be used in the projection in which it was created otherwise the shapes will be distorted in other projections and not be identical to each other.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NormBetland
Regular Contributor

After more trial and error, it seems like the best solution at present is to buffer the points to create a circle polygon that is the approximate size of the point marker at the final scale of the map and to use a picture fill in the polygon. There are no issues with polygons affecting other polygons. The one issue is that the polygon layer can only be used in the projection in which it was created otherwise the shapes will be distorted in other projections and not be identical to each other.