Select to view content in your preferred language

Overwrite Map Image Service

Jump to solution
02-02-2022 08:43 AM
Labels (1)
DirtDogRoj
Occasional Contributor

My goal: To overwrite a Map Image Service in Portal/ArcGIS Server ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1, so that URLs to the service remain unbroken.

I am no stranger to ArcGIS, but Portal is new to me at this new job.  I have modified the symbology of a layer in an ArcGIS Pro project that was originally used to publish a map image service in Enterprise.  I am logged in to Pro using the same user name that owns the item in Portal.  When I go to the Share ribbon > Share As section > Web Layer drop-down > Overwrite Web Layer, I cannot see the map image service I want to overwrite.  When I click the type drop-down box, it only contains "Web Feature Layers" as available options, therefore, I cannot select the map image service by name and the tool can only be cancelled.

What else I have tried: 1) I found an old ArcMap document containing the same layers.  I modified the symbology of the one layer and went to File > Share As > Service > Overwrite, and was told later in the process that ArcMap cannot be used to overwrite services originally created in Pro. 2) I have attempted several times to create an administrative connection to ArcGIS Server, but always end up with a User connection, even if using .ags connection files that originally had the administrative privilege. 3) I have looked at privileges and I believe everything is in order.

Documents I have read:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/the-map-image-cannot-be-overwritten-arcgis-pro-2-... (where the screen shot shows other item types besides Web Feature Layers)

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/connect-to-a-gis-server.htm Where it talks about Federated ArcGIS Server and Portal, which I believe I have

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-an-image-service.htm Which I'm unable to follow because of my Server connection type.

Please help me overwrite this map image service.  I do not need a feature service out of this; I just want to change the symbology of one of the layers in the service.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why don't you try publishing a new image service using ArcMap (with  a different name)? Compare the two image services. If you see no change, you could delete the existing image services, and publish one from ArcMap with the desired name.

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Was the image service initially published from ArcGIS Pro to a Standalone GIS Server (not federated with Portal)? Publishing/overwriting of a Map Service/ Image Service (from ArcGIS Pro) is only possible with a standalone GIS Server (As already mentioned in Overwrite an image service—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation). 

Once federated, the ArcGIS Enterprise site cannot be used to publish a map/image service (and a few other services). This is a known limitation.

Service publishing in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

You may however continue to publish Map/Image Services from ArcMap to the ArcGIS Server Site (even after federation).

Think Location
0 Kudos
DirtDogRoj
Occasional Contributor

You ask a good question.  Having only been here a month, I don't know when or how the service was originally published.  I only found out that ArcGIS Pro was the author when attempting to publish with ArcMap gave me the error.  If I, as you say, continue to publish the map image service with ArcMap, would I just delete the service first and then republish it?  I guess the URL would remain the same because the name is the same.  However, I just don't know what, if anything, is different between the ArcMap document and the ArcGIS Pro project.  Perhaps different fields are visible, or in a certain order, or some very Pro-specific symbology was set up.  The fear of not knowing is what led me to continue down the Pro road to just overwrite the thing.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why don't you try publishing a new image service using ArcMap (with  a different name)? Compare the two image services. If you see no change, you could delete the existing image services, and publish one from ArcMap with the desired name.

Think Location
0 Kudos
ColinHLang
Emerging Contributor

Don't do this.  The links from maps/apps/dashboards etc. that reference that service do not reference it by the name, but rather by the unique id ( a 32 character string). 

You can use a tool called the AGOL assistant to replace the occurrences of a unique id with a new id, but you really need to know what you're doing with that tool as you can easily break all the references with a typo error.

ArcGIS Pro has tools for overwriting services, and these should always be used if you want to not break all the dependencies on that layer.

0 Kudos