Select to view content in your preferred language

Overlapping Labels

Jump to solution
01-03-2024 01:08 PM
DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

I need to display all labels but not have them overlap (I need to be able to read them).  I found a video that has more features like Fitting Strategies and such, but I can't seem to find them.  I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 so I would think I should have those options.

DerekBernard_0-1704315953964.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
GregKeith
Occasional Contributor III

There are various fitting strategies, but depending on the density of your features, length of label, scale of map, etc., you may still not be able to see all of them. 

First, switch to the Maplex labeling engine: in the main ribbon, click More in the labeling section and then 'Use Maplex labeling engine'. Then, when you go to the Position tab in the labelling tab, you'll see another icon that looks like a chess knight piece (a horse). Fitting strategies are there.

View solution in original post

clt_cabq

one of the things to make sure you do is to turn on the maplex label engine. When you do that you get more tools available for fitting labels. You'll find that as an option to check under the roll down menu that says 'more' in your toolbar at the top of your screen shot (see the snip below). Also below is a screen snip of what the label properties 'position' tab looks like when you have the maplex label engine turned on - the placement tools that are showing are probably where you are going to get most of your benefit with placing labels.

What I have found however is that you can get a lot but not all labels to fit the way you like dynamically - a lot of this depends on the density of features you are labeling, extent of your map, etc.. Your best strategy is to get your settings configured as best you can, then convert your labels to annotation (which respects your label property settings) but then gives you the opportunity to manually create or move the problem labels to where you want them.

clt_cabq_0-1704317679247.png

clt_cabq_1-1704317870948.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GregKeith

There are various fitting strategies, but depending on the density of your features, length of label, scale of map, etc., you may still not be able to see all of them. 

First, switch to the Maplex labeling engine: in the main ribbon, click More in the labeling section and then 'Use Maplex labeling engine'. Then, when you go to the Position tab in the labelling tab, you'll see another icon that looks like a chess knight piece (a horse). Fitting strategies are there.

clt_cabq

one of the things to make sure you do is to turn on the maplex label engine. When you do that you get more tools available for fitting labels. You'll find that as an option to check under the roll down menu that says 'more' in your toolbar at the top of your screen shot (see the snip below). Also below is a screen snip of what the label properties 'position' tab looks like when you have the maplex label engine turned on - the placement tools that are showing are probably where you are going to get most of your benefit with placing labels.

What I have found however is that you can get a lot but not all labels to fit the way you like dynamically - a lot of this depends on the density of features you are labeling, extent of your map, etc.. Your best strategy is to get your settings configured as best you can, then convert your labels to annotation (which respects your label property settings) but then gives you the opportunity to manually create or move the problem labels to where you want them.

clt_cabq_0-1704317679247.png

clt_cabq_1-1704317870948.png

DerekBernard
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys, Maplex option gives me what I'm looking for.

0 Kudos