Open mobile geodatabase using VSCode

12-10-2022 10:04 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

How can I open a mobile geodatabase file using VSCode?

Here's what I tried:

I've created a mobile geodatabase using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3:

Bud_1-1670694971328.png

Bud_2-1670694989664.png

I've added an extension to VSCode 1.74.0 called vscode-sqlite: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=alexcvzz.vscode-sqlite

In VSCode, I use CTRL+Shift+P to open the textbox at the top.

Bud_0-1670694893642.png

Choose SQLite: Open Database >> Choose database from file.

Browse to the folder that my mobile geodatabase is in.

Problem:

No files are listed; I can't see/open the mobile geodatabase.

Bud_3-1670695202326.png

I assume VSCode can't see my mobile geodatabase because it's file extension is .geodatabase, not the usual .db extension for SQLite databases.

How can I open a mobile geodatabase using VSCode?

Related: What SQL client do you recommend for querying mobile geodatabases?

4 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

File->Preferences->Settings (or ctrl-,)

Search for sqlite and add the extension

BrianWilson7_0-1670862872830.png

THANKS for suggesting I can open sqlite tables in VSCode it had not occurred to me to try, this will be VERY useful to me.

BrianWilson7_1-1670863015932.png

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Thanks for the info.

I was able to open my mobile geodatabase using your instructions. But haven't been able to run a select query on one of it's tables yet.

Now that I'm looking at VSCode more closely, I don't think I understand why we'd want to use it for querying a database, such as a mobile geodatabase. It seems to me that VSCode wouldn't be a very good SQL client.  That's not what it's designed for. Why not use a proper SQL client, like Beekeeper Studio, or something similar?

I'm likely just missing something. I haven't used VSCode much enough to get good at it. I find it rather frustrating to use at this point.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

I spend all day in VSCode working with Python, PHP, Javascript. So it's convenient not to have to jump out to other programs. I run Python in Jupyter Notebooks a lot in there too.

Definitely going to check out Beekeeper Studio though.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

Credit goes to @jcarlson for pointing out Beekeeper Studio and VSCode in this post: What SQL client do you recommend for querying mobile geodatabases?

0 Kudos