Next steps - help!

08-19-2020 01:45 AM
NeilGodfrey
New Contributor II

Hi, I am just getting started with ARC GIS Pro and would appreciate some pointers. I am using it for archaeology and have learnt to georeference new maps etc. I now want to add data to my map in new layers e.g. a series of different symbols such as a red circle to represent a temple, a green one to represent a house etc. I also want to define areas graphically with lines showing boundaries, for example.  And I want to be able to show these graphics when I create a layout e.g. within a legend.

The problem is I am not sure where to start in terms of tutorials on this - I am a little confused about the differences between symbology, layer templates (bright map notes etc). Any tips appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Neil Godfrey

Are you referring to these tutorials?

ArcGIS Pro quick-start tutorials—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

or others?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NeilGodfrey
New Contributor II

Ah, yes I think I need to work through all of these....

0 Kudos
Stephanie_F
Esri Contributor

Neil Godfrey‌,

The Esri training site also has a lot of great online courses, a lot of which include data to walk through the tutorials with!

https://www.esri.com/training/ 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Neil,

To help narrow down the options a little, you might start with these quick-start tutorials:

Create a project

Symbolize map layers

Make a layout

The Learn ArcGIS site has a whole bunch of good tutorials and other learning resources. Cartographic creations in ArcGIS Pro is a more advanced exercise in cartography.

The entry point to the ArcGIS Pro help system documentation on symbology is Symbolization.

There are many AMAZINGLY good blog posts on mapmaking and cartography. Go to the ArcGIS blog site for Pro and search on cartography. Maybe start with Map-making, step by step by Heather Smith.

As Stephanie said, there are good resources on the training site, too... I'm just not as well acquainted with them.

0 Kudos
EdiePunt
Esri Contributor

Hello Neil, and welcome to ArcGIS Pro!
Here are a few of the relevant help topics to provide some background as you work through the tutorials:

You might be interested in this offering from Esri Press:

And, it's still a way off but you might be interested in this free 6-week MOOC. It's offered again in February. 

https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/596e584bb826875993ba4ebf/cartography./ 

Edie

0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi Neil,
Just wanted to add on to Stephanie's and Tim's posts. Esri Academy (Esri's training site) has lots of great resources. 
These ArcGIS Pro web courses may be helpful:

ArcGIS Pro Basics

Symbolizing Map Layers

Labeling Map Features

Creating A Map Layout

If you're completely new to ArcGIS Pro, there may be some good resources for you in the ArcGIS Pro Fundamentals learning plan which contains a list of learning resources curated by Esri Training's Curriculum team.

Joanne

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Neil Godfrey‌ before your head explodes with all the suggestions... remember, you don't have to follow all the links at once

... sort of retired...