new to GIS/ Analyst tools - inquiry

06-25-2022 11:27 AM
JustinBruener
New Contributor

Hello all,

I am new to ArGIS and am working on a project that has a goal of either demonstrating or disproving a spatial relationship between USDA hardiness zones, elevation  and proximity to large bodies of water (essentially, looking to quantify the belief that there is a relationship between temperature moderation and elevation). I have DEMs/LIDAR data of the area of interest and have georeferenced USDA cold hardiness maps to the AOI as well. What spatial analyst tools can I use to determine if a relationship is present between elevation and cold hardiness zones?

Thanks for your thoughts! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

start with

Combine (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

which will give you the combinations of the attributes and their classes.

For elevation you should "reclass" into elevations zones.  The boundaries of the reclassification might take some work to delineate potential thresholds.

Report after if you need further suggestions.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JustinBruener
New Contributor
Thanks for your help with this! I ran the combine tool between the raster
data sets for elevation after reclassifying and the hardiness zone Easter
dataset - the result looks unexpected. I get a black/white gradient. Any
idea if this is normal? I haven’t actively used GIS for 5+ years so I’m
very rusty at it!

Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That is just the color scheme.  Open the attribute table and look at the classes that resulted from the various combinations.  That is where the information is.

PS, you can change the "symbology" to visualize your classes better.  Like unique color scheme as a start since your attribute classes are categorical and not ordinal or interval/ratio

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos