New project defaulting to base python env

10-02-2020 11:56 AM
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

After I upgraded to 2.6.2 I noticed that the python environment switched to the default for an existing project and for new projects. In some instances, changing back to the preferred environment doesn't stick and multiple program restarts are needed for this change to be reflected. 

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Until now every 2.x upgrade made the previous ArcGIS Pro Python clones (envs) unusable unannounced.

You have to create a  new clone of the current default ArcGIS Pro Python environment (Manage Environments). After that you can switch to this new environment where you again have to install your custom python packages.

I also had troubles to create the clone because ArcGIS Pro uses a  hopelessly outdated version of the Conda software. I had some configurations in my .condarc file (conda configuration file) which are only compatibe with the later versions of the Conda software (e.g. channel_priority: strict).

There are some annoyances with Esri's ArcGIS Pro Python:

• Outdated Python version
  • Outdated Conda version
  • Upgrade of ArcGIS Pro crashes the previous Python Clones (environments)
  • Almost no feedback during actions within Python Package Manager
0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

That's a separate issue. My old environments run just fine. The issue I'm talking about is that the active environment reverts to the default environment meaning that I open a new project from a template (which was originally saved as having the non-default python env active), I need to change the python environment, save and then restart. This is a new issue with 2.6.2 that I didn't experience with previous updates. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You should report it to Tech Support.  They will have the resources to test and confirm if your situation is more widespread or localized to your environment.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

I just needed to clone a new environment.

0 Kudos
CuyahogaGIS
New Contributor III

I'm also experiencing this. Did you ever determine the cause or find a workaround?

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1

Yes, I had to clone the default environment again and add my additional libraries to it. 

CuyahogaGIS
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. I ended up defining the location of the module in my script and that seems to be working fine.

0 Kudos