Network Error

06-07-2021 02:30 PM
SteveHall
New Contributor II

Just an fyi more than a question.

I've been using Pro for almost 3 years now. I have always kept my projects on a network storage drive and worked off the NAS as well.

In the past, I have been able to add a folder connection to my project by right click on folders in the catalog tab and navigate to the folder I want to add (\\networkdrive\projects\project\data). It's worked that way for 3 years. Today when I started a new project and went to add folders in the usual manner, I get a popup "network error cannot access \\networkdrive\projects\project\data". Same results if I use the windoes mapped drive location. 

Checked all permissions. Nothing has changed. ArcMap 10.6.1 has no issues connecting to folders on the same drive. Did lots of searching. No answers.

When reviewing documentation on adding folder connections, one of the options is to drag and drop from file explorer to the catalog tab. I thought no way will this work. But it did and I am glad but it leaves me scratching my head! 🙄

21 Replies
SteveHall
New Contributor II

Well, never mind. Edits done to shapefiles added this way corrupt the files. So no, this doesn't work! Contacting esri!

0 Kudos
JohanHeins
New Contributor II

We have the same problem with our users. Coming from 2.7.3 to version 2.8 gives error: Network Error cannot access R:\ArcGIS\MyGISData. Reset users to 2.7.3 and they can get back to their share. Reported to ESRI NL but they have not been able to reproduce it yet.

(R is also a NAS share, underlying path is \\lnv.intern\home\H\name)

SteveHall
New Contributor II

Thanks for the input! I am downloading 2.7 right now! Just a thought, are you using a synology disk station NAS?

0 Kudos
JohanHeins
New Contributor II

I have asked our storage department, they indicate that the NAS is from Net App. But that couldn't be the difference. Curious if version 2.7(.3) works again for you.

0 Kudos
SteveHall
New Contributor II

Well, version 2.7 appeared to work in that it would connect to the folders on the network storage through the right click on folders. But, any edits that I do to a shape file corrupt the file. I can fix them using shape file checker but that isn't efficient!

0 Kudos
JohanHeins
New Contributor II

Steve,

Hi Steve,

I received a feedback from ESRI NL, the translation below from Dutch, seems that there may be a bug in 2.8. To be continued.

>>Dear Johan,

Thank you for your additional information.

You were the first to ask us the question, but you are no longer the only one.

I'm going to pass the case on to my American colleagues, as I can't reproduce it myself (we don't have a network drive available this way).

ESRI NL

0 Kudos
MoritzSchilling
New Contributor III

Same problem here with Version 2.8.3.

0 Kudos
JohanHeins
New Contributor II

Correct, i'm still waiting for the fix (#bug-000141160) but esri inc. hasn't released a fix or version date til now. I hope in version 2.8.4 somewhere in december?

0 Kudos
MoritzSchilling
New Contributor III

Still not fixed in ArcGIS Pro version 2.9.1!

Adding a folder on a mapped network drive (e.g. P:\) or a network path (UNC) does not work: "Network Error Cannot access DRIVENAME:\PATH\"

ESRI, are you serious? Why is this not fixed yet?