Negative Extrusion for Subsurface Modeling

Jump to solution
07-26-2018 09:24 AM
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

I am having a hard time getting a feature class to consistently extrude downwards in ArcPro 2.2 in a local scene. I was able to successfully extrude downwards with a GCS NAD 27 coordinate system, but I cannot seem to consistently replicate the extrusion regardless of the coordinate system (scene and all layers have the same coordinate system).

What are the current limitations with downward extrusion? It would be very useful if this functionality was more robust. It looks like downward extrusion is also not a supported functionality for a feature layer in a web scene (positive, upward extrusion works fine).

Thanks in advance!

Tess

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what might be going wrong... It seems to be working for me (below some points that are located on the surface and given a negative extrusion):

Make sure you enable "Navigate Underground". Select the Ground from the TOC:

and enable the option in the appearance tab of the Elevation surface:

I used Base Height:

and used and expression to get negative values (since I had none):

What settings are you using?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what might be going wrong... It seems to be working for me (below some points that are located on the surface and given a negative extrusion):

Make sure you enable "Navigate Underground". Select the Ground from the TOC:

and enable the option in the appearance tab of the Elevation surface:

I used Base Height:

and used and expression to get negative values (since I had none):

What settings are you using?

TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I was using the same process using base height and an expression with navigate underground enabled. I ended up doing the extrusion work I needed in a global scene vs. a local scene, and it appears to be working fine so far. I have then been reprojecting the exported multipatch to ingest it into a local web scene. 

Thanks again!

Tess

0 Kudos
TessOldemeyer
Occasional Contributor

After checking again, I opened the old Pro project I was working from, and I did not have 'Navigate Underground' selected for the elevation surface in the local scene I was working in.... Glad it's almost Friday 

Thanks again for all of your help!

Tess