My text is too big.

Jump to solution
06-16-2018 09:14 AM
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

This is my first time adding text to a map. After reading the online help, annotation seems to be how I shouljd go about it. I am drawing a small map of a downtown area and I am trying to label the streets. Setting the font size at 6 points still has it way too big for my map. See attached. I would appreciate any tips.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

I'd still download the necessary TIGER data, then use the labeling manager to label your roads. Change the symbology to transparent. Voila.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rather than adding text in that fashion, try reading the sections on labelling.  With the standard and Maplex options, you have greater flexibility and control

Labeling basics—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

ajkelsey
New Contributor III

Aren't labels associated with a features based on field names? I want to place names on the streets and those are between features. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't you have a street file that you could label?

ajkelsey
New Contributor III

No. What is a street file?

0 Kudos

Dan Patterson was asking you if you have a feature class or a shapefile of your streets (AKA Streets file).

IF you do, then perhaps the file would contain a NAME #attribute, which you could #label off of.

0 Kudos
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I do not. The streets are the negative space between my block polygons. I suppose I could create polygons between those for the labeling. It seems like that may be the solution that I need to use.

0 Kudos

You're making work for yourself...streets data are fairly common  

Start by looking here, and if these are insufficient I'd also suggest looking for your county or municipal data portal. Let us know, please!

ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I do have road edges from my county, but I didn't like it. It also included building outlines and some other "errors" I didn't care for. So I decided to create my street network by tracing the parcel data. I'm not doing a large area, so adding those additional polygons won't be too much work. But you could very well be right that this isn't the best way to draw my map.  At least I am learning, though. The jpg attached to my original post shows the extent to which I am drawing.

0 Kudos

I'd still download the necessary TIGER data, then use the labeling manager to label your roads. Change the symbology to transparent. Voila.

Good luck!