My ArcGIS Pro custom Task disappeared

Jump to solution
10-22-2020 01:33 PM
MennoTerBals_GIS4C
Esri Contributor

After editing a new custom Task in ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2, saving and closing the project, my task has disappeared when reopening the project. It is still listed under Tasks in the catalog pane, but with a broken source exlamation mark.

Also in the project folder both the XML document and the ESRI Task File pertaining to my task have disappeared.

I was able to recover a .dat file from the C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\ArcGISProTemp22788 directory that has information and parameters on my task. See attachment.

Is there anyway I can convert this .dat file back into a Pro task? Saving it as a .esriTasks file dit not work unfortunately. I'm not looking forward to recreating the whole thing...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies Menno.

There is no way to recover it - it is gone.

This is a bug we have been chasing for a long time and cannot reproduce.

If you have a backup of your project (APRX) or a backup of your task item as a task file you could use it.

Amir

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Col_Forbin
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue.  I've created a task and worked on it on and off for a few days.  Saved it yesterday at the end of the day, opened the project today and the task shows with a red exclamation point beside it in the Catalog pane and cannot be opened.  If I try to open it I get a message saying "Unable to open the task.  It cannot be found".  When I click the red exclamation symbol nothing happens.

Tags (3)
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies Menno.

There is no way to recover it - it is gone.

This is a bug we have been chasing for a long time and cannot reproduce.

If you have a backup of your project (APRX) or a backup of your task item as a task file you could use it.

Amir

MennoTerBals_GIS4C
Esri Contributor

Thank you for your reply @AmirBar-Maor Somehow I missed it and just read it today.

I hope you will catch the bug sooner or later...

For now I've learned my lesson and export the task regularly!

Thanks,
Menno

0 Kudos
RobertPendergrass1
New Contributor

I just ran into a similar situation. I had 2 tasks. I created exported one out to a task file. Now, it has disappeared!!! I only have the 2nd one listed. If I import the task file it comes in as the 2nd one!!  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@RobertPendergrass1 Apologies!

We are frustrated as well as we cannot reproduce the issue.

Can you please tell us which version of Pro you were using?

Do you see an exclamation mark next to the first task? 

Each task has a unique identifier so this is not supposed to happen. Do you see the same result when you import that task file into a different project?

If you log this with technical support and provide your project and task file we can have a closer look.

Amir

0 Kudos