Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple Users on 1 Arcgis Pro project

02-13-2017 02:47 PM
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Currently, in our ArcMap workflow, my staff will sometimes have a need to work on getting multiple maps edited for the same report simultaneously.  This usually isn't a problem, aside from users having the same mxd open at once.  This will send off an "Unable to save" document, but give the user a chance to save a copy for any edits they have made, then with a few shouts we can figure out how to resolve.  This works fairly well because of the single mxd workflow.  We have multiple maps for reports, and I can have my staff tackle as a group.  

Now with Pro, all the maps/layouts will be bundled together in one .aprx.  We have just tested having multiple users open the same aprx, make changes, save changes.  There is no notification that any other user is accessing the document, nor has saved the document.   It appears, the first user to open and save, has control of the document.  Other users can make changes, save (no error), but the saves will not be stored.  I foresee this is a HUGE problem.  Am I missing something or has ESRI tackled this issue with a very limited scope (only work on your hard drive)?   If I can't get a notification that another user has the same aprx opened, or if not all user's changes can be saved this will be a non-starter for us to move away from ArcMap.  How are we to address this? Is this a bug??  An enhancement request (which is just silly to me)?      

11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Tony - interesting but in a scary way certainly.  This issue has been seen by the Pro Dev Team and to my knowledge, will be resolved in the ArcGIS Pro 2.0 release.  More to come...

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert, is there an ETA on the Pro 2.0 release?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian, per another post I saw today, it should be release prior to around the UC.....subject to change of course.

edit...  Post I'm referring to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2017/03/05/arcgis-pro-roadmap 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is the perpetual release cycle... never fails

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Adrian - I'm hearing sometime in June but don't know exactly when.  I suspect before UC to give customers time to work with Pro beforehand.  I'm currently working with an early copy of 2.0 and it allows for more than one instance of Pro running on the same machine now - good news!

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

This is great news! Thanks for testing this and letting us know (hard to contain the excitement!) 

erica_poisson
Regular Contributor

Robert,

Was this ever corrected in 2.2? I've read the release notes but didn't see this specifically called out.

Thanks,
Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Erica,

This was resolved in 2.0.  You now get a "[Read Only]" notice in the aprx tile bar and a save as dialog if you try to save. 

erica_poisson
Regular Contributor

Thanks Tony. I didn't notice this but will pay attention in the future.

Erica
0 Kudos