move point based on attribute

07-26-2017 09:27 AM
MeghanKulkarni1
New Contributor III

Hello,

What I want to do is move points near boundary of polygon to a different edge of polygon based on attribute contained in point feature class. Screenshot below will make it little clear:

In above image, take an example of relationship between point C and point 4. Now Point C has one attribute which determines on which edge of polygon point C has to move. In this case, it is near to an edge which is close to point 4.

I tried to use Near tool with location and angle information appended but nearest location is not always used. It is determined by attribute.

Can someone help me with this? I know decent little python too. Any advice on that side is also welcome.

Thanking You.

My Best,

Meghan Kulkarni

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You state the Point should move to  a different edge of the polygon... which polygon? the one that the point is currently located in or the imaginary boundary formed by the bounds of your flagged points. 

That one rule is insufficient to move anything.  A more robust rule would specify a distance and/or direction or something to restrict movement in space from all the possibilities that exist.  Is there a chance that the complete rule set that gave rise to the attribution of where a point should move to exists? and if so, can you describe the complete set of rules that gave rise to this?

MeghanKulkarni1
New Contributor III

Hello Dan,

Thanks for you reply. Your idea certainly helped me moving point to a correct location. And FYI I needed to move point in same polygon and not different one. A detailed process I used is as follows:

1. I broke polygon edges as poly lines.

2. I used Split Poly line at vertices to get individual edges.

3. I used Features Vertices to points (MID option selected) to get points on edges.

4. I used Near tool to append angle which I used as attribute to move my point to a correct location.

One more small step is to convert this Near angle to Azimuth which my case demanded.

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me on this.

My Best,

Meghan Kulkarni

0 Kudos