Model runs well, tool no so well

186
5
12-01-2021 12:27 PM
Labels (2)
BarryFosberg
New Contributor III

Using Arc Pro 2.82

I have built a fairly simple tool. It allows the user to create a feature class from a feature class with an expression, then to apply a symbology (.lyrx ) that changes both the symbology and labeling, based upon the values in the selection. Lastly the user can name the output.

Running the model, from inside the model builder it works as expected.

Running it as a tool, I get the expression, the output name and the labeling but none of the symbology. 

 Model.jpg

 

 

The layer titled Test_S2NV was made run from the tool window-Left. It displays on the with no symbology , but with the expected labeling.

 

The feature labeled Updated Input layer Test S1NV displyas as expected. It was run from the run button in the model builder. 

 

 

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

HS_Symbolize as a Parameter perhaps


... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BarryFosberg
New Contributor III

It looks like what is different is that that out put of the model is a a Model Builder output whatever that means. The out put of the tool is a feature layer.  Some or all symbology seems to be getting lost. Different runs seem to have some or all symbology/labeling lost.  

 

As of now, running the tool creates a feature in the geodatatable, where it has zero symbology. Updated Input layer  is on for add to display, but it is nto adding to display

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might have to add Make Feature Layer to see if that nudge will do it


... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BarryFosberg
New Contributor III

I am not sure of the value of a temporary layer. 

However, I am trying it with a copy features on the end. 

With or without it, as of today, the model runs, the Tool fails to run

WARNING 000258: Output Q:\CrimeAnalystUnit\Projects\2021\HotStreets\CleanupCopy\Nov19Cleanup\Nov19Cleanup_1.gdb\HStreetsMaster_SelectedFeatures already exists
ERROR 000735: Input Datasets: Value is required
ERROR 000735: Target Dataset: Value is required
ERROR 000735: Input Features: Value is required

 

None of these are problems when run from the model

0 Kudos
BarryFosberg
New Contributor III

Based on some suggestions, I now think that what is happening is tied to the near impossibility of creating a copy of an Arc Pro Project. Without listing all of the steps taken to have two independent copies of a project, I think what happened is that the model was calling for values stored in the original project geodatabase.

In working through individual steps, I changed every reference that I could control to point to the new copy. It looks like my changes did not always take. 

 

This looks to be an instance where relative and absolute referencing might be involved. Rather than exhaust myself further by working those variations, I was able to return to the earlier copy of the project and deleted the copy.

 

In the original project model some one else found that I had an error that needed to be solved by making adjustments In the Tool Properties: Model. It seems that having a symbology layer name that has underscores in it can cause problems.

Solving that issue , uncovered another. Having applied the symbology, the model needed  recalculate values. I had started with Default as the rule for recalculation and switched to Recalculate values. The out put was inconsistent and therefore unreliable. 

For now I am setting this model aside. For this project the model was to be used 18 times. This has cost more time on problem solving that by doing the steps manually. What I am also losing for the moment is my intention to add to this model steps that would replace previous layers in an existing web based application.  This is intended to be a repeat project . The more automated it is the better.