Select to view content in your preferred language

Model opened in ArcGIS Pro disappears when viewed from ArcGIS Desktop

06-05-2015 03:55 PM
RoySP
by
Regular Contributor

I created a model using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.1

I opened the same model within ArcGIS Pro 1.1

Now, I can see the model in Pro but not in Desktop???

This happened with two models already!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RoySP
by
Regular Contributor

Never mind. Found out from Esri that this is by design...

0 Kudos
NilsBabel
Frequent Contributor

By design?  That's a terrible design.  I just encountered the same thing.  Actually I started a model in Pro that I wanted to use in ArcCatalog.  But I can't see it.  In 10.2.2 or 10.3.1.  That's ridiculous esri.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is an implicit assumption that people will read the help topics before venturing forth

ModelBuilder: migration to ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

perhaps a more overt placement might be in order.

NilsBabel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks very much for your link.  That explains that it is indeed by design.  I guess it is due to the slightly different functionality of models in Pro that they are not directly usable in Desktop.  However,  if esri is going to continue to develop both software applications then models should be seamless across both.  Improvements to model builder in Pro should also be in 10.3.1 and vice versa.  You shouldn't have to export toolboxes back and forth. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It really is a tough call because we do we want new nifty functionality and this always leads to a trade off in backward compatibility. 

I'm just really happy the GP environment is not going to change much. This means that a python script tool can be written to work unmodified across desktop 9.3 and later and pro. Try that with ArcObjects! 🙂

0 Kudos