Select to view content in your preferred language

Model only works in ModelBuilder window

Jump to solution
03-31-2023 07:25 AM
Labels (2)
TiffanyStram
New Contributor III

Often when I create a model, it works if I run it in ModelBuilder, but it does not work if I run it through the Geoprocessing Pane.  In my current example, I created a simple model to calculate the latitude and longitude and then concatenate them in one field with the latitude listed first. 

TiffanyStram_1-1680272316445.png

TiffanyStram_2-1680272419898.pngTiffanyStram_3-1680272445192.png

It runs great within ModelBuilder, but when I run it through the Geoprocessing Pane, I get the following errors.

TiffanyStram_0-1680272149294.png

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0, but I've had this issue with other models in previous versions of ArcGIS Pro, too.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Wondering if Pro has placed a lock on the data from running it in Model Builder and then immediately running it from the geoprocessing pane.  Have you tried closing out of Pro and opening Pro again and just try running the process from the geoprocessing pane immediately after opening the Pro project?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidSolari
Occasional Contributor III

I think a potential source of error is the "Calculate Field" tool you're using, that doesn't look like the interface for the tool in the Data Management toolbox. Try using that tool specifically and see if the errors persist.

DavidSolari_0-1680277215305.png

0 Kudos
TiffanyStram
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've swapped out the Calculate Field Tool to the one in your screenshot, but it didn't resolve the issue.  It still runs successfully in ModelBuilder (with no errors or warnings), and now I get a slightly different error when running through the Geoprocessing Pane.

TiffanyStram_1-1680278176356.png

0 Kudos
DavidSolari
Occasional Contributor III

My best guess from reading the error messages is someone has locked the dataset you're trying to update. You might want to take this to ESRI Support as I'm sure there's a lot of environment-specific issues at play that you might not want to post in a public forum. Good luck!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Wondering if Pro has placed a lock on the data from running it in Model Builder and then immediately running it from the geoprocessing pane.  Have you tried closing out of Pro and opening Pro again and just try running the process from the geoprocessing pane immediately after opening the Pro project?

TiffanyStram
New Contributor III

Ha!  Usually I try closing Pro and opening it again when things don't work, but I forgot this time.  That resolved it!  Thanks for the reminder!

0 Kudos