Microsoft SQL 2016 Management Studio breaks ArcGIS Pro 1.3

Jump to solution
10-11-2016 03:07 PM
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

Microsoft SQL 2016 Management Studio breaks ArcGIS Pro 1.3 and 1.3.1 SDE data connections

I ran across this on Monday and wanted to make others aware of the issue. I will post the fix after I try somethings out.

Issue: Had ArcGIS Pro 1.3 installed and working with SDE Connections to SDE 10.1-10.3 databases. Installed Microsoft SQL 2016 Server Management Studio from Microsoft at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx.

At the next start of ArcGIS Pro 1.3 all connections to SDE data sources were Brocken (Red ! marks).

Tried:

1. installed ArcGIS Pro Patch #1, did not resolve the problem.

2. repairing SQL 2012 Native Clients, did not resolve the problem.

3. Uninstalled ALL Microsoft SQL Server 2016 components from add/remove programs, failed to remove all components

4. rebooted

5. Re-downloaded the SQL 2016 Server Management Studio install package and ran it, but selected UNINSTALL. This successfully removed all components.

6. Uninstalled SQL 2012 Native Client (64bit)

7. Reinstalled SQL 2012 Native Clients (64 bit)

Now all the connections are working again.

Note - attached is the ArcGIS Pro error message I received when I navigated directly to the SDE connection file I was using in my basemap. Note this message implies ArcGIS Pro 'does not support the given version or format' of the SDE database; in reality it is the Microsoft SQL components that do not support it, when you load/reinstall the correct (older) versions the SDE connections come back to life.

Rich

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardDaniels

I opened a ticket with ESRI on this and they were able to replicate the problem. They went through all the components loaded by the SQL 2016 install and narrowed it down to the Microsoft® ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server. When this is loaded it takes precedence over the SQL 2012 Native Client, which causes 10.2 and prior SDE Connections to fail.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardDaniels

I opened a ticket with ESRI on this and they were able to replicate the problem. They went through all the components loaded by the SQL 2016 install and narrowed it down to the Microsoft® ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server. When this is loaded it takes precedence over the SQL 2012 Native Client, which causes 10.2 and prior SDE Connections to fail.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed post Richard! I just discovered that all of my SDE connections were broken after recently installing SSMS 2016 as well. I'll most likely end up installing SSMS 2012 for now.

Does anyone know if Esri plans on fixing this issue in future versions of Pro by chance?

0 Kudos
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor

There is a Knowledge Base article that describes this issue in detail:

http://support.esri.com/technical-article/000014556

-Shannon