Merging 2 or more point layers to 1 layer within a feature class.

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 03:57 PM
Alexandra_Cooper
New Contributor

I am would like to merge 2 or more point layers within a feature class to 1 layer. 

But have yet to find a solution.

I am able to do this for Polygons and Lines using the Merge Tool in the Edit tab. 

Why not points ?! 😆😋

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

I am would like to merge 2 or more point layers within a feature class to 1 layer. 

You say that you want to do this with the interactive Merge tool in the Edit tab, so I'm assuming you mean point features, not layers.

A feature is one row in your feature class. A layer is the representation of your feature class in ArcGIS Pro (used for symbology, labels, selections, etc.). Sorry if that sounds nitpicky, but that's why the others assume you want to merge feature classes.

Anyway, Dan's answer is really close: You can't merge Points, only Multipoints. So you have to convert your point feature class into a multipoint feature class first:

• Use the Pairwise Dissolve tool to turn your point feature class into a new multipoint feature class.
    • Toolboxes -> Analysis -> Pairwise Overlay -> Pairwise dissolve
    • choose all fields as Dissolve fields
    • make sure the "Create multipart features" checkbox is marked
  • Select all features in the new feature class and run the interactive Explode tool in the edit tab

This new feature class is a multipoint featureclass, you can merge your point features here.

Have a great day!
Johannes

View solution in original post

4 Replies
anbinh
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I don't see any problem with using the Merge tool in Data Management (Merge (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation). It is available in ArcGIS Pro/Desktop -> Geoprecessing. 

Hope it helps. 

Best regards,

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

make sure one isn't Point and the other something else like PointZ or MultiPoint

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

You say that you want to do this with the interactive Merge tool in the Edit tab, so I'm assuming you mean point features, not layers.

A feature is one row in your feature class. A layer is the representation of your feature class in ArcGIS Pro (used for symbology, labels, selections, etc.). Sorry if that sounds nitpicky, but that's why the others assume you want to merge feature classes.

Anyway, Dan's answer is really close: You can't merge Points, only Multipoints. So you have to convert your point feature class into a multipoint feature class first:

• Use the Pairwise Dissolve tool to turn your point feature class into a new multipoint feature class.
    • Toolboxes -> Analysis -> Pairwise Overlay -> Pairwise dissolve
    • choose all fields as Dissolve fields
    • make sure the "Create multipart features" checkbox is marked
  • Select all features in the new feature class and run the interactive Explode tool in the edit tab

This new feature class is a multipoint featureclass, you can merge your point features here.

Have a great day!
Johannes
Alexandra_Cooper
New Contributor

Johannes! That was it the Multi point vs the Z point. Thank you for the detailed instructions. And no worries about the terminology. One must be on point  (no pun intended 😅) for this kinda work! So thank you again. 😊

0 Kudos