mbtiles to .tpk data interoperability extension

Jump to solution
01-10-2021 09:08 PM
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

This ESRI technical document says with the Data Interoperability extension you can read mbtiles. I would like to use the tiles as a basemap in Pro, and then export the tiles to a .tpk file. Is this possible? In the Workbench I can find the mbtiles reader, but I don't know where to go from there.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

I found you can use the Data Interop extension to read MBTiles and then reformat to a file geodatabase raster. Just open Interop, add  a reader and point to your mtbiles file; the software will correctly load the mbtiles raster reader. Then add a Writer and choose the ESRI geodatabase raster writer. Accept default settings, connect the reader and writer and run. Seems to work great!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the Data Interoperability extension does import mbtiles into a geodatabase.  From there, you can add the newly imported data into a map view and I would think you could create a New Basemap.  And then from there create a *.tpk - I've never done this workflow myself but it does seem possible.
mbtiles.JPGmbtiles2.JPG

0 Kudos
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for helping me along. But I am still stuck. The Quick Import Tool has a reader format for vector MBTiles; when I run it I get the error message that the reader is for vector tiles only and that I should use the MBTiles reader (which is not in the list). When I open the Data Interoperability workbench I do see a reader for raster MBTiles but I can't figure out how to proceed using the Workbench (ie I can add the Reader, but what Transformer or Writer is needed?).

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah I see what you mean.  In researching further I found this link that may help a little further.  It seems FME from Safe Software would do this but requires an additional purchase.  On their website, they do offer a free 30-day license to use/explore that may get your there.

0 Kudos
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate the quick response! I think in my futile searches I came across the web page you cite. But it only confused me more because it states: "MBTiles in Data Interop are only supported if they are raster only." And that's what I have is raster only tiles. Oh well, I think I also read somewhere that QGIS will read MBTiles. 😀

0 Kudos
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor

I found you can use the Data Interop extension to read MBTiles and then reformat to a file geodatabase raster. Just open Interop, add  a reader and point to your mtbiles file; the software will correctly load the mbtiles raster reader. Then add a Writer and choose the ESRI geodatabase raster writer. Accept default settings, connect the reader and writer and run. Seems to work great!