Select to view content in your preferred language

Map series file size

02-09-2023 07:06 PM
Labels (1)
tvmangum
Emerging Contributor

I have a map series project that contains all of the roads in the County along with the address ranges for the road segments. When I export the series to a pdf in ArcMap Desktop it may come out around 26 mb which is not bad. When I export the series to a pdf in Pro the file size is usually around 160 mb using the very same settings for labeling, etc. (I can get the file size down to around 107 mb by using the compression option in Adobe.) I have the quality of the series lower in Pro and it still gives me the massive file size. I am trying to figure out why the file size in Pro is so much larger than the file size in Desktop. I've included a sample of one page from the series.

I have tried multiple settings in the options and cannot get good quality results without the file size being so massive. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the export process that will get good quality in a more manageable file size.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Stefan_Thorn
Frequent Contributor

Hi @tvmangum 

Have you switched off these settings?

Stefan_Thorn_0-1676018656581.png

to this:

Stefan_Thorn_1-1676018689423.png

0 Kudos
tvmangum
Emerging Contributor

I already had those options turned off.

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Have you seen this Technical Support article on the subject? It explains why the files are bigger and gives suggestions on how to reduce the size of PDFs exported.

FAQ: Why is the PDF file size exported from ArcGIS Pro larger compared to ArcMap? (esri.com)

0 Kudos
tvmangum
Emerging Contributor

I tried all of the step in the article and it made the file size larger. Who knows what is happening!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you tried messing with the compression settings to see if that makes a difference?

AdrianWelsh_0-1676068083296.png

0 Kudos