Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Frame not holding position

06-12-2023 07:48 AM
TroyBungard
New Contributor II

I need help.  I have a rogue map frame.  Arc Pro 3.1.2 - I have two layouts.  Each have two map frames. 

It's laid out as a plan/profile layout.  upper frame is a map view - lower frame is a cad .dwg - 

I have two layouts - only 1 with the issue.  the issue is, no matter how I set the map frame view - if I save and exit - then reopen the project.  The 2nd layout - cad frame - reverts back to a different scale and position from what was set.  if I reactivate that frame, I can only pan the view so far and it stops as if it hit a wall.  I'm assuming it reached an extent - however the extents are set to extent of all data in layers.  If I somehow manage to get it repositioned and saved or go in and manually change the extent - as soon as I let off of the extent field - the numbers revert back.  I've deleted the frame and completely recreated it - saved the project, exit out and come back - and it reverts back.  It's only on layout 2.  layout 1 seems unaffected.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on with this one layout.  all other projects are fine and the other layout in this project is fine - 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Is your second layout a map series? Map series map frames will go back to the set position created by the map series parameters. You can zoom/pan in an activated layout to do editing, but as soon as you switch pages (or open and close the layout or project) the extent will bounce back. 

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
TroyBungard
New Contributor II
No, it should not be a map series -

I simply click on new map frame - and insert the frame.

Initially, I had copied this layout from a previous - (as a sort of template)

After I ran into the issue - I deleted the map frame and created a new map frame - but it does the same thing.

Will try that again, and make sure it's not a series frame - (just in case).

0 Kudos
TroyBungard
New Contributor II

I think I may have figured out what is happening.  But I don't know how it happened, as I don't use this feature.
Right clicking on the map frame in the contents - clearing "reference scale" seems to have resolved one issue - of not being able to pan or zoom - to the original position I had set.  I don't know if it's a 'permanent' fix to it resorting back to a fixed scale and position.  Note: I've never used or set a reference scale.

0 Kudos