Select to view content in your preferred language

Map frame became monochrome

Jump to solution
11-15-2022 09:06 AM
WilliamYu811
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I'm using the ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2,

my map frame became whole monochrome after I saved the edits of features.

I don't think I've changed the color style or display settings.

And I noticed the "visual effect" button cannot be canceled.

TengweiYu_0-1668530509107.png

The "effects" under "feature layer" was keeping deafult.

TengweiYu_1-1668530715856.png

Here's the screenshot:

Openstreetmap and the polygon feature which was set on symbology also became monochrome.

螢幕擷取畫面 2022-11-16 004743.png

Please leave me a massage if you know any solution of this situation.

Sincerely,

Teng-Wei Yu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Hi Teng-Wei,

Thanks for posting this. That result is super-unexpected. The visual effects are only meant for 3D views (which is why that set of controls on the ribbon are disabled for your 2D view).

After some digging, I did find a way to get to that same state --> open a 3D scene view, enable the Black-and-White visual effect, and then convert the scene to a 2D map.  The visual effect option is brought over to the map and (like it was for you) it cannot be toggled off through the UI.

The property belongs to the map, so one (simple) way to get back to a 'color map' is to add a new map to your project, and then copy-paste your layers over to the new map. A bit draconian, but it'll work.

I am interested in how you got your map into the black-and-white state (so we can make sure other users don't also run into it). I'm hoping you can help us here.

Did you use the convert-scene-to-map workflow at all?

If not, do you have any ideas what steps you were using when the display changed?

Thanks!

-Nathan

ArcGIS Pro Dev Team

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Hi Teng-Wei,

Thanks for posting this. That result is super-unexpected. The visual effects are only meant for 3D views (which is why that set of controls on the ribbon are disabled for your 2D view).

After some digging, I did find a way to get to that same state --> open a 3D scene view, enable the Black-and-White visual effect, and then convert the scene to a 2D map.  The visual effect option is brought over to the map and (like it was for you) it cannot be toggled off through the UI.

The property belongs to the map, so one (simple) way to get back to a 'color map' is to add a new map to your project, and then copy-paste your layers over to the new map. A bit draconian, but it'll work.

I am interested in how you got your map into the black-and-white state (so we can make sure other users don't also run into it). I'm hoping you can help us here.

Did you use the convert-scene-to-map workflow at all?

If not, do you have any ideas what steps you were using when the display changed?

Thanks!

-Nathan

ArcGIS Pro Dev Team

WilliamYu811
New Contributor II

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your solution,
after inserted a new map and pasted all layer to the new one,
the problem had been solved,
I'm very appriciate about that.

I have tried to recall which botton or shortkut key I clicked,
but I only remembered it just happend after I saved the edit of some features on one layer,
In fact, in my whole workflow,I didn't use any tools in the "View" tag, even switch to the view tag,
so it was impossible to use the scene convert function at all.
This is very puzzling; to be honestly, I also want to know the reason like you. lol

I attatched my whole packge for you to check if you'd like it.

And thanks for your solution again, it's effective.

Sincerely, 

Teng-Wei Yu

NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Thanks Teng-Wei! Glad the workaround-fix has helped.

We'll take a look at your project package (thank you!) and see if we can figure it out. Appreciate the info.

-Nathan.

FrancesWalker
New Contributor

I just had this issue and this thread really helped me. I think I must have somehow accidentally clicked on the Visual button because I noticed it was highlighted when I was looking for a fix for the black and white issue, but clicking on it did nothing.

I found I could change it back to colour by typing in "visual" into the command search bar up the top and selecting the Visual tool from there, no need to create a new map.