Many to one join

10-30-2020 08:41 AM
TiffanyFalk1
New Contributor

Any thoughts on how to join a data table to polygons in ArcGIS Pro where they can be assigned to multiple polygons? If you picture each of the states in the US and you want to join a table of all the birds in the US. There are birds that can be present in multiple states. How should I set up the table to get the join to work? Or should I use a relate? Here is a screenshot of the table and polygon shape. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I shy away from joins when the word 'many' is used.  I prefer a relate or a relationship class.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
TiffanyFalk1
New Contributor

Thanks Joe, 

I know I'm not setting the relate up properly, any thoughts on how to get it to work? Can I use the K Column (Labeled "Zone" in the top image to relate it to the polygons? Does it need a particular format? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

When you use a given field for the 'key' field in a relate, the values in both table need to be consistent.  I don't see the same values in K anywhere in the polygon fields. You can certainly set a relate between these two, but given the view of them, they don't have any common values between them in the respective Zone fields.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos