MacBook Pro 13 for Argis Pro

03-25-2024 08:00 AM
BrunoUrgelles
New Contributor

Hello guys,

I have a MacBook Pro 13,3", M2. 8 GB RAM of memory and i need tu use Argis Pro to work in my degree thesis (i need to analyze NDVI for mesure productivity in plant), im going to install Parallells.

Do you belive that this computer going to work well?

Thanks for your helps

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShaneONeill_144
Esri Contributor

Hi Bruno,

I would recommend taking a look at the below documentation regarding running ArcGIS Pro on a Mac, there are minimum hardware requirements listed there.

You should also run the following Systems Checker tool from Esri - The tool will run a short .exe file that downloads from the computer, but the results will show on the web browser. This will give you an indication if your current machine can run ArcGIS Pro based on the minimum and recommended system requirements.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Honored Contributor

Running the Systems Checker is great advice, but before you can, you will need to install Parallels and then install Windows 11 so that you can run the check in Windows. It won't run (or mean anything) if you try to run it in MacOS.

Sadly I don't believe the M2 can be upgraded, and 8GB is really not enough to (1) run MacOS (2) run Parallels (3) run Windows 11 (4) run ArcGIS Pro (5) use the analysis software in Pro.

When Esri says "8GB minimum" they mean it will load and limp along but that's it. Add in the extra overhead of Parallels and emulation and it will probably not even be stable. Personally I would not even try this with less than 32GB.

I used to run ArcGIS Desktop on a Mac using Parallels, but it had an Intel Core processor, and yours has an ARM processor. To run Win11+Pro the ARM has to emulate an Intel processor, which is going to slow everything down.

I have 3 Mac Book Pros at home in the closet 2007, 2011, 2013. Each successive one is more and more locked down. The oldest one, I extended its life by replacing the spinning HD with an SSD and upgrading RAM from 2 to 8. The newest one... not worth installing the weird Mac only SSD it requires. (All three have Linux installed now since Apple no longer ships OS upgrades for them.)

I am done with Apple and their sealed box / soldered down mentality.  I've owned many Macs over the years. Windows 11 is very good and there are some very nice Intel laptops out there. I use a Dell XPS15 and it's not perfect but I feel it's better than any of the Macs I have owned. I use Dell Precision 7670 at work.

Keep in mind too, it does not have to be a laptop, if you have a workspace for it a second hand desktop PC could be a good deal and they are easy to upgrade; just make sure it can run Windows 11.

Best wishes to you with your thesis work!

Brian

0 Kudos