Lost access to help system, ArcMap, 10.5

Jump to solution
10-12-2018 08:53 PM
FelixPertziger
New Contributor III

Today I found that I can't access help on any system tool when I click <Tool Help> button. It says (see attachment):

Can’t reach this page

Make sure the web address //ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm# is correct
Search for this site on Bing
Refresh the page

I afraid it is Windows 10 October update in action.

Anybody, who knows how to fix this, please! Last thing I want is profile re-build.

30 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Felix,

In Tech Support we have the following defect logged for this behavior:

[BUG-000117599 "Can't reach this page" message when launching any geoprocessing tool help if Windows update KB4462918 or KB4462949 is installed.]

Feel free to call Esri Support at 888-377-4575 for tracking this defect.

FelixPertziger
New Contributor III

Hi Scott,

thanks for reply, but I don't understated how defect tracking can help to fix that issue.

Regards

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It seems to be windows operating system and browser specific

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4462949/cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4462918/windows-10-update-kb4462918 

The latest Oct 10 update was paused because of some issues reported of missing files (windows 10 1809)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4464619 

If you are on windows 10 v1809 it could be an issue,  I am on windows 10 v 1803

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Felix,

I was suggesting that if you wanted to know the latest status or other information about the issue, you can contact Esri Tech Support. In Tech Support, we will attach the case to the defect, and at that point, you can track the status on My Esri. This goes for all bugs. When a number of cases are attached to defects in Support, this is relevant information for Esri.

Regarding BUG-000117599: It was reported to Tech Support, we reproduced the behavior, and found it was linked to two Windows updates. That's all the information we have at this point. If we learn more about this defect, for example a workaround, we will add this information to the bug report. This information would be available those users that contact Technical Support and/or are tracking the defect.

Thank you,

Scott

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Scott Harris‌ and Dan Patterson‌, I can confirm that this problem is occurring on my setup, i.e. help file is returning that Can’t reach this page.

I use the local help file ALL the time, not having it accessible is not an option. I only ever use the online help version for ArcPro or when answering peoples questions on forum. My go to help file is always the local version.

My setup is ArcMap 10.6.0.8321

Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1709, OS Build 16299.726

As soon as ESRI work out how to fix this can you announce on this thread so we could download any patch etc.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Duncan, I will keep an eye out for you. My suggestion however would be to contact Esri Technical Support and get a case attached to BUG-000117599. You should get notified when it's fixed.

With this issue, however, you can still access the help for a particular tool if you search for it once the help launches.

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Scott,

Spotted another issue with this bug which undermines the whole help system. If you run a geoprocessing tool and it fails with an Error, in the dialog box it usually offers up an error code which is a hyper link to the help system. Below is an example where I have misspelt the output workspace. Click on that link throws you to a blank page...

Example

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for pointing that out. I tested on my end, and in that case, until the defect is fixed, you can launch the Help from the menu in ArcMap and search for the error code, ex. "000210" to get to that particular help article. I know this is not ideal, but provides a temporary workaround.

-Scott

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Scott Harris‌ - I have on your recommendation started a case for ESRI UK, hopefully this speeds up a fix as it is very frustrating I can't just jump in/out of Help anymore. I know, as a quick fix, I can search and get to the page but that relies on me knowing what I want to search for...chicken and egg... 

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Scott Harris‌ Just want to update your team, I have 10.2.1 running at home on my Windows 10 computer. I have just discovered that this Windows update also affects older versions of ArcMap.  What ever fix ESRI produces it needs to be applied to all versions, certainly as far back as 10.2.1. This bug appears to affect all versions of your software.

0 Kudos