Select to view content in your preferred language

Losing spatial data when exporting to shapefile

a month ago
AmandaDickson
New Contributor II

I am currently using ArcGIS Pro (3.2.2). I have a WMS server layer from which I have queried and created new layers. I have saved those in a geodatabase that I have created. I would now like to share those layers (preferably as a shapefiles) but when I do Data Export or via the Geoprocessing Tool Feature Class to Shapefile, the shapefile exports the Attribute data but not the spatial data. Though I have noticed the Field Names are slightly shortened.

Am I missing something? Any help much appreciated!

Amanda

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Eugene_Adkins
Occasional Contributor III

Shortened field names for an exported shapefile isn’t too uncommon.

Try using the export feature tool to create a feature class in a file geodatabase and then create the shapefile from the newly created feature class. This could bypass the unknown problem with the WMS layer.

0 Kudos
AmandaDickson
New Contributor II

Thanks for swift reply. 

Had a go at that and unfortunately I still get the same result. attribute tables, but no spatial data.

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

Try running the Repair Geometry GP tool on one of your new fGDB feature classes in case something is amiss and try to export it again. (The tool can be batched).

As for shapefiles, field names cannot exceed 10 characters in length and will be truncated. This is due to a dBase limitation. Alias names can be longer.

0 Kudos
AmandaDickson
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply - will try Repair Geometry and try again!

0 Kudos