locked legend items

02-10-2020 02:55 PM
DanAllison
New Contributor III

I have a ArcGIS Pro 2.5 map in which legend items (group layer name, layer name, etc.) are locked. They are checked but grayed out. See attached snips.

I have tried deleting the legend and creating a new one. I have tried creating a new layout. I have tried removing layers and re-importing them from the database. I have re-started the application. None of these has solved the issue.

Tags (2)
44 Replies
Patrick_G
New Contributor

Deleting the Heading text worked, but that's goofy. Especially if I change my mind later and want to format that text and show it.

0 Kudos
ShayonLashgari
New Contributor

Just upgraded to 2.8.3 and it's still not been fixed.

ArcPro Grey Legend Item.png

0 Kudos
KimberlyKarish
New Contributor II

I am having this exact same issue with legend items being checked and greyed out. I specifically need to turn off the Heading. I am working with a raster layer, which could possibly be the reason, but I haven't found any documentation that states rasters would cause the greyed check box. I am unable to find a solution in all of the documentation and community answers I've read; did you eventually find a solution?

JeremyWilkinson
New Contributor

This problem still persists in May 2023. We use v. 2.8.8. I still cannot gain control of the greyed-out header box. Although the header does not show in the layout view on-screen, when I export to a pdf or png the header appears as VALUE in the legend. This is a very minor bug, but a large annoyance and I and many other users have collectively wasted probably hundreds of hours of paid working time, not to mention elevated stress levels, trying to resolve it. Perhaps ESRI would put in a similar effort to get this fixed please?

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your legend exported correctly. Your issue sounds a bit different than the one initially described. Options like header and group layer name for legend are designed to be greyed out (disabled) when they aren't applicable to the layer type. So if the layer isn't in a group you won't be able to interact with group layer name, if the layer symbology doesn't support headings then heading will be disabled. 

From your description it sounds like you are experience a difference between what is drawing on the layout, and what is appearing in an export. This sounds like an export bug. Since 2.8.8 we have fixed several reported export bugs in the software, and done work to make exports faster and more robust. It's possible upgrading might fix your problem. 

If it doesn't, or if that is not an option currently, I recommend reaching out to technical support to log a bug. They can make sure it gets seen by the right team, and help you figure out if upgrading might resolve your issue. You can reach them here https://support.esri.com/en-us/overview

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos