Locate Settings in ArcPro

11-19-2021 10:02 AM
ErinCovill1
New Contributor II

Hello, I am having issues with my Locate settings in ArcPro 2.6.2. Quite frequently (like several times a day) my saved settings change (like I always like to have ArcGIS World Geocoding Service turned off but somehow it turns itself on), and also my configured layer searches will disappear. I can get them back however, if I either sign in or out of ArcGIS Online. Am i doing something wrong? I would also like to know how to remove some locators all together, but this option either doesn't exist or is greyed out. Thank you!

Tags (3)
6 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Erin,

I feel your pain!  I have actually had alot of issues with the locator in ArcGIS Pro as well.  Due to the fact that ArcGIS Pro is based on "projects" and anything you save in those projects is preserved for THAT project.  There are ways to make some settings stick like folder, database connections, etc., but the locator is not one of them unfortunately!  Now... for a way to remove locators you don't need.  The world geocoding service is default to the locator as is the x,y locator.  As you mentioned, you can turned them off in the provider settings but somehow they get turned back on in a new project or other instances of the same project.  UGH!  

When you set up your search layers... are they layers that are in your project or stored elsewhere?  This may be causing some of the issue because you said you have to sign in or out of AGOL to resolve the issue?

Another idea is that you could create your own locator and then add it to your ArcGIS Pro provider settings.  I did this for our office and as long as the analysts use the same project where the locator was added, they have it available to them.  Of course there are caveats to this solution where you must figure out how to update the data behind your locator because data like addresses or parcels change often.  If you need additional help with this, I would be glad to share my workflow process with you.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

We've outlined various workflows for updating an existing locator when the reference data the locator uses changes. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/keep-your-locator-up-to-date.htm.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

The settings for locators and configured layers are tied to the map in the project. You could have two different maps in the project and each could have different providers enabled for each of them. If you are viewing a locator that is grayed out in the Provider Settings, hovering over the locator will give you a message that should help determine why it's not available for use. If the locators you want to remove are always there when you sign into ArcGIS Pro and add a map and have a cloud icon, those locators are likely utility services in your ArcGIS Online organization. You would need to reach out to your organization administrator to have them remove the locator from the list of utility services.

0 Kudos
ErinCovill1
New Contributor II

So, to be clear, I am working in the same map all day. I have a few searches configured for different layers in the map. My process is as follows;

1. Search for a location by ID
  2. Zoom to location 
  3. Make edits in area
  4. Go to search for another location, BUT my configured layer searches are no longer available
  5. Sign out of AGOL
  6. Configured layer searches are available to me again
  7. Search for a location by ID
  8. Zoom to location 
  9. Make edits in area
  10. Go to search for another location, BUT my configured layer searches are no longer available (again)
  11. Sign into AGOL
  12. Configured layer searches are available to me again
  13. Search for a location by ID
  14. Zoom to location 
  15. Make edits in area
  16. etc.

Also, I don't think my administrator can remove the other locaters as then they would not be available to other users.

Thank you!

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@ErinCovill1 What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using? Are the layers you have configured for search feature services, local layers, layers in an enterprise geodatabase? 

0 Kudos
ErinCovill1
New Contributor II

I am using ArcPro 2.6.2. And the layers I use for searching are all in our enterprise geodatabase. 

0 Kudos