Animation Fly Through Pixelated

Jump to solution
01-13-2022 02:40 AM
Labels (3)
burrkim
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I've created a fly through in ArcGIS Pro, and it doesn't look too bad in Pro, when I export it is pixelated and really bad quality. I've got 30 fps set and an mp4, it's a 3 min video and took 7 hours to create a terrible output. 

Not the first time I've had issues with this. 

Please help, deadline is tomorrow to get this finished.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
burrkim
New Contributor III

My solution was to get in touch with ESRI and follow a lot of documentation but eventually it worked. So some things to consider:

A lot of trouble shooting into specs of laptops (I was using two seperate ones with the same issues arising)

The Specs and drivers were all within ESRI requirements

The software was unistalled and reinstalled

One laptop was cleared completely of everything and plugged into the network to see if there was a change

All data saved locally

ESRI contact said my imagery was too big so I resampled to slightly smaller

I followed troubleshooting in the ESRI options here:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-documents/troubleshooting-performance-issues-in-arcgis-pro/...

I restarted and it all worked. No more crashes. 

Also a lot of the glitching and pixelated issues were caused due to viewing the video through VPN, I shared it with myself and watched locally and it's better. Also with ArcGIS Pro don't worry if it looks pixelated, press pause and wait and whatever that image is is how it will look on export. 

IT took 7/8 hours for a 4 minute film. After Windows updates and ArcGIS PRo update I got it down to 2.5 hours, but only on the VPN. MY laptop still takes 7 hours. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

What settings did you use? Maybe it was a draft export only? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/animation/export-an-animation.htm
7 hours for 3 min sounds wrong. Maybe an limit of your hardware specs?

"Please help, deadline is tomorrow to get this finished."
If you are in a hurry you can always fall back to use screen capturing software, as it could take some time, until someone can answer to your issue.

0 Kudos
burrkim
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Yes I did export as a Draft with 30fps in mp4, it was a standard export. Would you recommend other settings?

Thanks

0 Kudos
SimonSchütte_ct
Occasional Contributor III

"The Draft preset quickly exports a movie that is intended as a preview of your final product" - to get a good quality export, choose another setting that fit you needs such as YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Instagram, HD720, HD1080. Also take note of the Advanced media export settings section.

0 Kudos
burrkim
New Contributor III

Hi SImon, 

I tried a lot of different options with resampling the image to be smaller and using the 720, 30fps output (not draft). The image was tried in 0.1m, 0.5m, 1m, 2m and 5m and all came out pixelated. Only the 0.5 wasn't within the software, but was on export. But now even that is pixelated in ESRI. 

Each version took 7-9 hours to export to test. 

Any ideas?

My system specs are all good, I've checked this with ESRI to see fi this is the issue. The data is on my desktop and not suring the server to process. 

0 Kudos
burrkim
New Contributor III

My solution was to get in touch with ESRI and follow a lot of documentation but eventually it worked. So some things to consider:

A lot of trouble shooting into specs of laptops (I was using two seperate ones with the same issues arising)

The Specs and drivers were all within ESRI requirements

The software was unistalled and reinstalled

One laptop was cleared completely of everything and plugged into the network to see if there was a change

All data saved locally

ESRI contact said my imagery was too big so I resampled to slightly smaller

I followed troubleshooting in the ESRI options here:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-documents/troubleshooting-performance-issues-in-arcgis-pro/...

I restarted and it all worked. No more crashes. 

Also a lot of the glitching and pixelated issues were caused due to viewing the video through VPN, I shared it with myself and watched locally and it's better. Also with ArcGIS Pro don't worry if it looks pixelated, press pause and wait and whatever that image is is how it will look on export. 

IT took 7/8 hours for a 4 minute film. After Windows updates and ArcGIS PRo update I got it down to 2.5 hours, but only on the VPN. MY laptop still takes 7 hours.