Select to view content in your preferred language

Line direction

Jump to solution
04-19-2022 07:45 AM
MariyanaKostov1
Occasional Contributor

How do I symbolize the line direction in Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

Click on the symbol you want to change and scroll down in the symbol list to Arrow at End. There are some other option on where the arrow will be placed that you could choose to use too. I like using Arrow at End.

Lorraine77_0-1650381175355.png

To change the color and size, click on the Layers symbol then click on the line segment and change the font and color, then click on the arrow symbol and change the color and font.

Lorraine77_1-1650381296169.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

Click on the symbol you want to change and scroll down in the symbol list to Arrow at End. There are some other option on where the arrow will be placed that you could choose to use too. I like using Arrow at End.

Lorraine77_0-1650381175355.png

To change the color and size, click on the Layers symbol then click on the line segment and change the font and color, then click on the arrow symbol and change the color and font.

Lorraine77_1-1650381296169.png

LindaWilliams1
Frequent Contributor

I usually add an arrow-shaped shape marker layer to my line symbology. Then I can adjust the arrow width and spacing along the line to make it as visible as I need.

LindaWilliams1_1-1650381543058.png

0 Kudos
MariyanaKostov1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! Just to clarify that I want the arrows to show the direction the line was digitalize not just any direction. I'm not sure if I use the "Arrow at the end" symbol that will guarantee the digitalization direction.

0 Kudos
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

The best way to check if the symbology is showing you the correct direction is to click the edit button on a line to see where the end point is then compare it to where the arrow is located.

Click on the Edit tab, then click on Verticies, and the end of the line segment is a red box instead of a green box. If you hover over the point it will say end point too.

Lorraine77_0-1650383551080.png

Lorraine77_1-1650383565433.png

Then click Clear and look at the arrow symbology and see that the arrow is pointing out toward the endpoint so it is in the same direction that the line was drawn.

Lorraine77_2-1650383682530.png

If the the road was drawn in the wrong direction you can use the flip line tool to switch the direction of the line.

MariyanaKostov1
Occasional Contributor

great! I'll try that.

Should I assume that if this is true for one of the lines it is true for all of the lines in the file?

0 Kudos
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

I would assume that it would be correct for all of the lines. I have been using this symbology to audit my road direction for a few weeks now and it has been consistent with the end point at the end where the arrrow is pointing out.

If you feel skeptical then check several roads using the edit tool to see if the end point in the same location that the arrow is pointing.

0 Kudos
MariyanaKostov1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you! Your help is truly appreciated!!! 

0 Kudos
sinekelly1410
Emerging Contributor

Hi All,

Is there a way to systematically check and fix line direction rather than just spot checking a few lines?

I have a line dataset with different line directions. I want to ensure that all lines follow the same direction, as I know that some lines are in different directions. I need a tool/method that will ensure all lines follow the same direction (doesn't necessarily matter which direction, just that they are all the same). 

Has anyone come across a way to do this?

@MariyanaKostov1 @L77 @LindaWilliams1 

0 Kudos
L77
by
Frequent Contributor

I don't know how you would do that.

But if you are assuming that the beginning point for each line should begin at the intersection of another line, and the end point of the line should be pointing out at the end by itself, then maybe you could use a tool to create points at the end of each line?

L77_0-1698332027090.png

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/point-at-end-of-line-polyline-.htm

0 Kudos