License needed for creating Mobile Map Package (Save to File option)

Jump to solution
03-01-2023 04:38 PM
aakims
by
New Contributor II

Hello, I need help figuring out why creating a mobile map package keeps failing. My team is going to start using FieldMaps on an iPad for offline fieldwork. We'd like to sideload the mmpk files onto the device and take them out to the field.

I don't get any error or warning messages when I "analyze" the map, but when I click "package", it runs for a couple of minutes and after showing "packaging data" status, it fails. The log is only giving me this generic error message:

An unexpected error has occurred when creating the package. Check your settings and try again.

I couldn't really find anything online for hours until I stumbled upon this help article for ArcGIS Explorer that says:

Your user type limits the maps you can create.Creators and GIS Professionalscan create web maps. Creating MMPKs requires ArcGIS Pro, which is included with the GIS Professional user type.

This was confusing to me because I was using ArcGIS Pro, but have the Creator user type. After more research, I found slightly different wording on this FieldMaps help page under the Montana government domain:

Creating MMPKs has additional licensing requirements compared to creating web maps. To create MMPKs, you must have the GIS Professional user type and use ArcGIS Pro.

So I want to confirm: do you need the GIS Professional user type in order to be able to create mobile map packages? If this is an issue, the error message on ArcPro should really be specific to say this.

I wish there were a clear table that lists what each user type can and cannot do. If there is, please point me to it. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You should be able to create a MMPK with just a Pro license assigned to you. A Publisher extension is useful in that you can then share your MMPK with users who dont have an AGOL username and password, but it is not required to package maps.

I have 2 suggestions.

(1) Check that the files in your project are free from geometery errors. Run the Repair Geometery tool on each of them to ensure they are OK. The map projection should also be the same as that of your raster and basemap (.tpkx, .vtpk, etc.),  if included. This should not cause the packaging to fail but it wont display correctly once oppened. 

(2) Try creating a MMPK in a new projet using some simple data to check that you can successfully package a MMPK. If successful, then gradually build the project up from there.

Good luck.

Mervyn

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You should be able to create a MMPK with just a Pro license assigned to you. A Publisher extension is useful in that you can then share your MMPK with users who dont have an AGOL username and password, but it is not required to package maps.

I have 2 suggestions.

(1) Check that the files in your project are free from geometery errors. Run the Repair Geometery tool on each of them to ensure they are OK. The map projection should also be the same as that of your raster and basemap (.tpkx, .vtpk, etc.),  if included. This should not cause the packaging to fail but it wont display correctly once oppened. 

(2) Try creating a MMPK in a new projet using some simple data to check that you can successfully package a MMPK. If successful, then gradually build the project up from there.

Good luck.

Mervyn

aakims
by
New Contributor II

Thank you @MervynLotter. Testing with a simple layer confirmed that I can indeed create a mobile map package with the current license. I isolated the problem layer that was causing the issue, but not entirely sure why. Now testing with different layer settings! Thanks again. 

0 Kudos