Legend - Hide when no feature in extent

Jump to solution
02-11-2022 09:44 AM
szhan165
New Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am creating a map series and using dynamic legend to show only features visible in the extent. There is one map in the series that does not have any feature in it, therefore the legend block has no content and only shows the title. Is there a way get rid of it in this case? The goal is to only show legend if there are features in that map and show nothing if there is none. 

Thanks much in advance.

szhan165_1-1644601388612.png

szhan165_0-1644601264274.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

In the second picture below where it says Legend in that box, that won't appear when you export. Once you export or print the map series nothing will appear on that page. Any element that doesn't have data in it will show you a label like that. It's designed to show you the element still exists but has no data. 

I think if you export or print your map series you'll get the result you are looking for!

Cheers,

Aubri 

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

I don't think there is a way to do what you want. My solution would be to add something to legend that is in every map so that you never have an empty legend. Maybe it's roadways, or land use, etc. with out knowing you data it's hard to say if this would be a good work around. 

szhan165
New Contributor II

Thanks Sean. I thought about this work around too, but there is just no feature in or near the extent of that map...

0 Kudos
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

what if you shaded the polygon they are in and applied some transparency and put that in the legend?

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

In the second picture below where it says Legend in that box, that won't appear when you export. Once you export or print the map series nothing will appear on that page. Any element that doesn't have data in it will show you a label like that. It's designed to show you the element still exists but has no data. 

I think if you export or print your map series you'll get the result you are looking for!

Cheers,

Aubri 

Cheers,
Aubri
szhan165
New Contributor II

Thank you so much Aubri! I printed out the layout and nothing is there, just the way I wanted!

0 Kudos