Left Click Stops Working

04-05-2022 06:11 AM
SDague_FSMAR
New Contributor II

Several times over the last 4 months, I have experienced an odd technical issue with ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 that does not result in a crash but does cause Pro to be nearly unusable.  I am just looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues or whether it is unique to me and my system.

I will be working in Pro performing edits, both spatial and attribute, after some action (which appears to be different each time, most recent was adding 4 points in quick succession) my left mouse button will cease to interact with any GUI element.  If I click on the map within the current frame, Pro performs an identify and will display results. However, if I try to click on a different tool within the ribbon interface or switch to a different pane or attempt to turn on or off a layer, nothing accepts the click. Right-clicking still appears to function normally, both on the map frame and ribbon interface.  Keyboard commands still work also.

My current workaround is to use keyboard commands to save edits, turn off the edit session, save the project, and close Pro.  Once I open Pro back up, it will perform normally.  This has occurred 2-4 times within the last 3-4 months. (EDIT: Use the Alt key to access the GUI followed by letters or numbers to access functions)

Has anyone else experienced odd left-click behavior similar to this recently?  Since I cannot reproduce the issue and it appears to be random, I do not think a support ticket is warranted.  Just trying to gauge whether this behavior is unique to my system or if any other Pro users have experienced something similar.

Thank you for reading this far and providing any comments.

6 Replies
HeatherFox1
New Contributor II

This has been an issue for some time, and I've seen it discussed here several times, but this post discusses some of the "solutions".  Seems you either have to disable some anti-virus software or just try pressing random keys on the keyboard.  Personally, I'm not able to disable software on my work computer so it's come down to random keys for me.  Not much of a fix, but sometimes it works.  

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/explore-tool-stuck-again/m-p/299000#M12999

0 Kudos
IrwinNick
New Contributor

@HeatherFox1 wrote:

This has been an issue for some time, and I've seen it discussed here several times, but this post discusses some of the "solutions". The problem in not the mouse because I already tested with cps counter to see if left click works.  Seems you either have to disable some anti-virus software or just try pressing random keys on the keyboard.  Personally, I'm not able to disable software on my work computer so it's come down to random keys for me.  Not much of a fix, but sometimes it works.  

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/explore-tool-stuck-again/m-p/299000#M12999

Thanks for sharing this thread! The following trick from the mentioned thread worked from me.

My workaround in Pro is to use keyboard commands to save edits, save project and close Pro. This has worked for me because the Alt key still works. This will access the ribbon interface and letter options will show on the tools to allow you to use them. So pressing Alt accesses the ribbon, then "E" accesses the edit ribbon and finally "SV" will save my edits. Next, I use the same Alt followed by letters or numbers to access project save and finally exiting Pro. You can then restart Pro and the issue is gone.

Very rare occurrence for me, but the workaround above has worked each time.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just experienced the same issue. I was working on multiple layouts with map series, and suddenly, the left mouse-click quit responding. I used the Alt key to access the ribbon commands, selected P for project, and S for save, then X for exit. Not a great way to work, but it got me through without losing edits. Using Pro 2.8.1 (because we can't upgrade on our computers in my organization without a ticket to IT, which I only do if I have to).

AimeeJones
New Contributor II

I've had this problem since January/February. Happens very randomly--nothing I'm doing is ever the same when it decides to stop working correctly. I've experienced the issue three times today alone. Saving the project using keyboard shortcuts force closes the project after it finishes saving. I've only ever seen it auto-backup twice when it freezes so I'm wondering if a crash error is occurring when automatic backup fails, but it won't force close until the user ends the program through task panel or by saving the project?

0 Kudos
Danilof
New Contributor II

The same problem happen to me today. It was the first time that I experience this but some co-workers had reported the same problem since Pro 2.7.

We are currently working with Pro 3.0.2

0 Kudos
DillonSussman
New Contributor

I'm having this problem consistently when attempting to edit a legend item's properties. Right-clicking on the map makes left-click work again, but it is making it impossible to edit the legend. Using Pro 3.1.1

0 Kudos